• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tri-band or dual band?

Once Bitten

Aug 13, 2011
Western Arizona
I was given a 3 element beam antenna. I was told it is a HY GAIN TH-3MK4. It came with original paperwork for a DB-1015A and copied paperwork for the TH-3MK4. Are these the same antenna?
It was given to me by my dad and he said it is a tri-bander. I believe it used to belong to the AL MALIKAH shriners radio club in Los Angeles.
I guess I'll measure things after I get it pieced back together.
TOO hot now! 113°F today.

The db-1015 is a seven element duel band (10 and 15 meters) beam.

The th-3mk4 is a three element tri band (10, 15, and 20 meters) beam.

The DB

The db-1015 is a seven element duel band (10 and 15 meters) beam.

The th-3mk4 is a three element tri band (10, 15, and 20 meters) beam.

The DB

"The Hy-Gain Model DB-1015A is a three element, duo-bander that operates on 10 and
15 meters. Hy-Gain's Hy-Q traps allow multibanding. The antenna fits a 11/4” – 21/2”
O.D. mast and can be rotated with a heavy duty TV rotator"

This is the first paragraph in the manual.

You are correct, I pulled the info from their web site and just now noticed they don't have any mention of the DB-1015a, even after a search. I used the DB-1015 listing from their web site.

I find it odd that they would have such different antennas with such similar names...

The DB

A quick way to tell is if there is 2 traps per side for each element then its a tribander. If there is only 1 then its a dual bander.

That is a good rule of thumb however a few of the older style antennas ,I believe Maco or Wilson, actually had special traps that were two in one style. They were tribanders with only one set of traps on either side of the elements. It looked like a dual bander but was in fact a tribander. I believe one such antenna was the Maco SY-33. IIRC Hygain may have made one like that as well. There are very few exceptions to it but for the most part the rule above can be followed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.