• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Troublesome s45hp

dxing440

Apr 10, 2011
Bought it 1 1/2 year ago. Had copper electronics tune and convert it.
(BIG MISTAKE) right out of the box, (prob #1)had to install a new antenna connector in the radio. Copper stripped it out. Then got it hooked up and,
(prob #2) 11m am worked good, 10m and 11m ssb was horrible. Sounded over modulated.Tried for two weeks, thought it was just me. (Prob #3) Then the keying relay started sticking, had to turn radio off then back on to unkey. The carrier was set for low power 6w, high power 25w. Sam said send it back. All was good, under warranty right?
Wrong
(Prob #4)Two or three months back, it started having a carrier on SSB of about 45w. Sent it back again, resistor or something in carrier balance section went out. Got that fixed. (Prob#5) 1week ago, with dimmer switch on bright setting, the meter light starts flickering,(bright/dim/bright/dim) and thru the speaker , it sounds as though it's shorting out. Run it on dim, and there's no problem.
Is it just my luck? Bad techs at copper? Or magnum/rf limited is junk?
Anyhow any ideas what may be wrong, how to fix the blinking/shorting sound?

While the new 257HP & S45HP did have some issues the big problem there was buying the radio from Crapper. Even worse was letting their "tech" tune the radio, I would not let Crappers touch my toaster much less a radio.

At this point the best two shops for Magnum radio's is Bobs cb in PA and the Radio Shop in Ontario,CA. Here is an older link from the WWRF that has all the information in the first post by Robb at the end.

http://www.worldwidedx.com/export-radios/41886-magnum-omegaforce-s-45-hp-review.html

Reactions: 1 person
Call rf limited, there is one other person I believe 91. Went by ricks or something, this was per Eric at customer support for magnum, I had to get a new frequency knob, Sam Lewis emailed me and sent me one for free, great customer service, call or email rf limited and talk with their customer support, you might get that radio fixed for free. Good luck and sorry to hear you are having such problems, I bought a 257hp from copper, but they didn't touch it that's for sure. They don't need to be tuned or aligned, they Come from the factory set pretty well, the only thing that needs to be done if one wants is to do the 11 meter mod and turn the mic gain pot in the microphone up. Anyway hope you get it fixed. God bless.

Think I fixed it. The wire right were it entered the bulb was loose. I soldered it a bit heavier and it no longer does it, SO FAR! I've left it on bright for several hours, good so far. Magnum said warranty was up, sorry

My S45HP is a great radio, strong audio and gets good responses. Yesterday however I noticed it has developed a quirk. When I scroll through the channel frequencies on the 11 metre band I get this:

etc

When I change mode to just display the channels they are in order.

I wonder why 27.255 should be out of order ?

Bruce

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.