• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Trying to learn about the tx section on the cobra29ltd classic and needing help

SlamIam

Nov 17, 2017
I really do enjoy learning all I can about cb radios and their many functions. Just don't understand what all I need to check when there is no tx signal. Sure am hoping someone can tell me what I need to check from start to finish of the tx problem. It would be greatly appreciated for sure.tx

Might help to know what tools you're working with.

Wattmeter?
Frequency counter?
Volt/ohm meter?
A second working radio that you can use to 'sniff' for a weak transmit signal inside the radio is a big help. Plug a coax jumper into your receiver and thread the outer ring of the plug on the other end back over the coax. The center pin is now a half-inch long "sniffing" antenna. Probing around the radio's driver transistor will tell you if the radio is generating a transmit signal at all. If not, leave the driver and final transistors alone for now. This would mean the problem is upstream from the transmit-power section.

And if you do hear a carrier, it's helpful to see if you can hear any voice modulation when you talk into the mike. If not, that serves to narrow down where to look next.

If you have a larger interest in this beyond this one radio, there is a book that's incredibly helpful with this. It's called the "Screwdriver Expert's Guide".

Written by Lou Franklin. He has a web site at http://www.cbcintl.com{/url] 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.