• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

trying to recieve fringe stations.

billsjca

Jun 20, 2010
In my area like many others the cb use is very low, however some evenings I can hear stations that are in with the noise.in the past have been able to make contact with stations 100+ ,miles away, but with these stations I can only make out a few words and not able to contact these stations. I'm running a magnum 257hp, sigma4, on a 20ft mast, set on the ground. static level is pretty low. and I'm using lsb. I guess I could raise my antenna to try and improve my recieve, or try a beam, but was curious if someone had any oher suggestions. I don't think a recieve preamp will help as the stations are right at background level. I'm really just curious where they are, and how far away. I . have a good 8ft ground. rod. using rg 213 coax 50ft. any suggestions as what to try next? I'm guessing the stations are 80 to 100 miles away. don't hear them alll the time just enought to make a effort but not a huge effort. the 257 seems to have excellent recieve so doubt a different radio will help.

Beam also gives gain on recieve, no beating height for better performance,

If they are in the noise level on that Sigma, then a beam will pull them out of the static usually.

Your idea about getting that antenna higher would be my first suggestion. That really will give you the most general improvement. How high? Best suggestion would be above the surrounding structures if possible, which isn't always very possible/practical. Another 10 - 20 feet should certainly help. That does complicate things, as in expect to guy that mast, if you aren't already. Then, as suggested, a directional antenna would also help. That's another level of complexity as well as cost.
A pre-amp -might- help, but I wouldn't bother. The draw back to pre-amplifiers is that they also amplify the noise along with the signal. There are specialized filters that do work, they are called DSP filters. They are not cheap. There are some -lower- cost ones around, but don't expect much 'lower'. ('ClearSpeach' speakers are one of them.) Some are adjustable, which is good, you can certainly have 'too much' of a good thing.
Good luck with it.
- 'Doc

Beam also gives gain on recieve, no beating height for better performance,

If they are in the noise level on that Sigma, then a beam will pull them out of the static usually.

was thinking that... no easy solution. might try a pre amp. can't hurt and easy to do., but don't think it will help. 257 is very sensitive.

If you can't go with a higher antenna, I'd try a DSP filter like 'Doc suggested. Clearspeech and BHI are the two that I would go with. I've tried most of them that are readily available over the years and like those two the best.

DSP

If you can't go with a higher antenna, I'd try a DSP filter like 'Doc suggested. Clearspeech and BHI are the two that I would go with. I've tried most of them that are readily available over the years and like those two the best.

The BHI is also sold as a GAP "HEAR IT" & comes in several different ways of using them(speakers,modules,ect)& they work GREAT at getting rid of noise!

SIX-SHOOTER

If it were me,I would raise current antenna to about 36 to 40 feet at the base of antenna and see what happens,...if that doesnt help enough I would go to a small beam such as a PDL2 or a 3 element at about 36 to 40 feet.

In my area like many others the cb use is very low, however some evenings I can hear stations that are in with the noise.in the past have been able to make contact with stations 100+ ,miles away, but with these stations I can only make out a few words and not able to contact these stations. I'm running a magnum 257hp, sigma4, on a 20ft mast, set on the ground. static level is pretty low. and I'm using lsb. I guess I could raise my antenna to try and improve my recieve, or try a beam, but was curious if someone had any oher suggestions. I don't think a recieve preamp will help as the stations are right at background level. I'm really just curious where they are, and how far away. I . have a good 8ft ground. rod. using rg 213 coax 50ft. any suggestions as what to try next? I'm guessing the stations are 80 to 100 miles away. don't hear them alll the time just enought to make a effort but not a huge effort. the 257 seems to have excellent recieve so doubt a different radio will help.

Obviously you need to raise the antenna.....20' plus the antenna doesn't help matters. Talking 100 miles with a 257 and a groundplane on a 20' mast seems impossible unless the receiving station uses a set of beams 100' in the air pointed right at you. The lower the antenna is the more likely you will cause problems with your neighbors and I am assuming that you live in a housing subdivision.

Last edited:
I would get a beam antenna if you want to work the long range stuff that is down in the background noise right now. I had a set up much like yours once and put up a 3 element beam and it was like night and day. The beam is the way to go for reaching out and touching someone.

Schottky diodes in receive section? I have a Cobra 2000 that I installed Schottky diodes and the reception noticably improved. S/n ratio is soooo much better than stock. I'm only running an IMAX 2000 10ft off the ground. I don't know anything about your radio, I'll leave that to the experts.

Higher and a beam is great advice. I talk to a friend from time to time at 170 miles. Have talked farther. Oh ya were both on the flat side. I like having both polarities. Flat to flat is where its at for long surface wave contacts. Its also a db or 2 quieter most of the time. Im in the country and the powerlines are underground so this makes it very very quiet. Thats also important.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.