• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

TS 2000

rfoverlord

guardian of freedom
Jun 1, 2005
daegaba system
Considering getting a ts-2000 to replace my ic-7k in the house anyone using this rig. I know it probably isn't the best for vhf/uhf but i have a ft-847 for that. read the reviews on eham like any other review they are good , bad and indifferent so i will solicit any opinions on here.

rfoverlord,
I have never used a kenwood ts-2000 so i dont have any kind of review but maybe i can still add to your thread.

Since you already have a Yeasu ft-847 which is a DC through daylight,satellite ready rig and the ts-2000 is basically the same thing with a few more options why dont you dedicate your ft-847 for vhf/uhf back up HF, satellite ready rig and look into a dedicated HF only rig such as a TS-870,IC-756proII,FT-1000markV or other high end rigs for the same price as a TS-2000.

This is what i have done but with different rigs and it works great.It sounds as if you already have a great setup.Good luck

ts2000wa5.jpg

Two things to know to start with.
I don't own a TS-2000, but I have played with one.
I am a Kenwood fan.
Keeping those things in mind, I don't think you would be totally disappointed with a TS-2000, maybe not even mildly upset that it doesn't have a particular 'do-dad' another radio has. It works just fine!
There are a couple of things I'm not exactly thrilled with though. Neither affects what the radio will do, it's just that I'm used to something different. The first is that 'pudgy' look, sort of 'melted' looking? Hmmm. Things are where they seem to be pretty convenient 'at hand', which is really more important than what the thing looks like, so no biggy. It's just different.
The second thing about the TS-2000 is that I think it has too many options for transmitted audio, sort of. Almost the first thing every owner does is 'tailor' the audio, which I can do without hearing. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't care for it. It's supposed to sound just like I do in person, you know? Unless the one helping you do that 'tailoring' knows what you sound like, how can they tell when it's 'right'? Just seems like a lot of trouble for something you can't be sure of anyway.
After that, the biggy with any radio is how well do you hear, the receiver section. I think the TS-2000 does a very good job of 'hearing' all by it's self. No need for any particularly 'fancy' 'do-dads' to 'help' that. (Besides, I'd peobably have those 'do-dads' anyway, maybe. Like a 'better' antenna?)
The current trend is to have 'menu's instead of knobs, sort of. I'm not thrilled with that, but they didn't ask me, right? So, I like very simple ones. Kenwood tends to have "user friendly" menus. At least they make sense to me.
If/when I get another radio it'll probably be a TS-2000, maybe. I like them. Does that mean it's the absolute bestest thing around? Probably not, and my tastes certainly aren't everyone's. Best advice is to get your hands on one and try it (yeah, right. Where/how do I do that? Beats me, but it's the best advice.)
- 'Doc

{If you should happen to get a TS-2000 and don't like it, I would gladly take it off your hands at ~my~ price! You wouldn't even have to pay shipping. Isn't that generous of me? ... and if that's 'generous', I just happen to have this boat for sale...}

i ahve the ts 2000 an it work very well on vhf/uhf.. i lik eit cause you have 100 watts on 2 meters which i do alot of ssb.. also it does fine on hf also but for me it did not have the correct filtering for cw. on phone it works well, i like the compact size of the rig, the auto tuner does better than the ft 2000 tuner, i think the kenwood will tune anything 8:1 an under where the ft is 5:1. the SAT option is nice tho i never played with it. one thing i dont like is that you hav eto run the pre amp on for v/uhf other wise everyone is in the mud, even on repeaters. but all in all i would give the rig a 8.5/10...

Well thanks for the replies "gentlemen" I was looking at the the TS-2k mainly because of the sky command. I have been spoiled by the ic-7k, it picks up things that the 847 doesn't even hear. The 847 is my dedicated vhf/uhf, which it does an excellent job. now i want something to replace the ic-7k in the house, I'm not a contester, but i don't want to listen to the static like on the 847 even with the inrad filters and a few other mods. hamer do you really have one or are you just a tease?

I sold mine to get the IC-7K, now I am keeping the IC-7K and getting the TS-2K, it was/is a GREAT radio, Sky Command is the cats MEOW, I used it with my TH-D7AG handi scratchy and the guys on 75 meter were impressed by the audio saying they could not believe it was an HT!

Not that I ever tried :drool: but they say you can use sky command with the TH-D7AG or D700A that has been modified and talk on the GMRS frequencies with Sky Command to 11 meter :p

Cool for sure if it were "legal" ;)

(y) DAATS IT! I have to have one, I just found out the price of the T-8 went up now my XYL is telling me to order that first even though i won't be putting it up until summer. You should always do what your told to keep the relationship in good standing, too bad i don't have a day off during business hours until monday:(:(

Simply put:

The TS-2000 has Sky Command, Kenwood makes a few other radios with Sky Command, One being a 2 meter 440 Handi Talkie.

To use Sky Command a person must have two radios with Sky Command.

I had three, the TS-2000, TM-D700AG mobile and the TH-D7AG. Now the TM and the TH were FM only radios for 2 meter 440. When set up on Sky Command I can control my TS-2000 from my handi talkie or my mobile radio. This seems no big deal UNTIL you can actually recieve whatever the TS-2000 recieves on HF! Thats not all! You can actually use the handi talkie or mobile to TRANSMIT back to the TS-2000 letting you actually TALK on HF from your handi talkie or mobile. Basically you can drive around town with your HT and talk on HF. Once your out of range of your TS-2000 then you lose that ability. You can change frequency, adjust filters, and control the antenna tuner on the TS-2000 with the HT! ITS a blast!

Wow, I like that idea. I could sit on my deck and talk HF or whatever from my HT on summer evenings and wont be stuck in the shack.

I will be checking more on this.
Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.