• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ts-440s ??

1iwilly

Dec 7, 2008
is a kenwood ts-440s a good starting radio i found one that i might be able to buy for around $200 or $225
i have my 101e but the drift is getting to me after a while even though it was just service

is a kenwood ts-440s a good starting radio i found one that i might be able to buy for around $200 or $225
i have my 101e but the drift is getting to me after a while even though it was just service
It is if the known issues have been addressed. PLL unlock, keyboard bounce are the two major issues with that model.

Kenwood TS-440SAT is my daily driver!
I don’t like menus or touch screens. Everybody is different. I just prefer knobs, switches and an analog meter.
Most anything that old will need some love and care. I enjoyed bringing mine back from certain death and a friends back from death!

David

Reactions: NZ8N
Kenwood TS-440SAT is my daily driver!
I don’t like menus or touch screens. Everybody is different. I just prefer knobs, switches and an analog meter.
Most anything that old will need some love and care. I enjoyed bringing mine back from certain death and a friends back from death!

David
I am the same way

Reactions: Holydvr
Some of them had wax to stabilize the VCO section, others had the corrosive contact cement. Exposure to humidity seems also to be a part of the picture. If the radio lived in the desert, the glue's corrosive chemistry may not have gotten a foothold. At its worst, I have seen tiny green smears where the lead wire to a component used to be in the VCO section of that model. Not so different from a decades-old used car. A peek under the hood can reveal a lot.

I will say this. The worst-case scenario would be that the radio won't work and you break the radio up into its separate modules and sell them on fleabay for half-again more than a working radio costs.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Some of them had wax to stabilize the VCO section, others had the corrosive contact cement. Exposure to humidity seems also to be a part of the picture. If the radio lived in the desert, the glue's corrosive chemistry may not have gotten a foothold. At its worst, I have seen tiny green smears where the lead wire to a component used to be in the VCO section of that model. Not so different from a decades-old used car. A peek under the hood can reveal a lot.

I will say this. The worst-case scenario would be that the radio won't work and you break the radio up into its separate modules and sell them on fleabay for half-again more than a working radio costs.

how about the ts-430s

If it's an estate sale that you're driving to, bring along a power supply, coax jumper, meter, and a dummy load if possible. Even w/o everything else, hooking it up to a power supply will let you know if it powers up, are there dots on the display, and do the other controls seem to do what they're supposed to do (and quietly).

If it's an estate sale that you're driving to, bring along a power supply, coax jumper, meter, and a dummy load if possible. Even w/o everything else, hooking it up to a power supply will let you know if it powers up, are there dots on the display, and do the other controls seem to do what they're supposed to do (and quietly).
no it's on ebay. now i found another one on Mercari that one is plug in showing normal frequency reading

Last edited:

I bought a couple of pull out boards off e-Bay to use repairing mine and one other 440.

Found it was quite economical to get the unobtanium components and a circuit board to use for repairs and have some left overs!

David

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.