• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tubers hate me?

HomerBB

Jan 4, 2009
Rogers, Ar
I picked up a Kenrich Eagle 200 today for free and was tuning it in when it went all smoking. Filled the garage with stink. I don't know what blew, but . . .

Then I was listening to DX on 27.385 LSB on a Siltronix 1011D Comanche, had made a few contacts with it, and was working in the garage when it went dead. Blew the fuse on the back, a 4 amp. Put in a 5 amp. Blew it. Put in a 10 amp, it made a buzzing sound and smoked something in the transceiver. Lights out, a little puff of smoke and I wasn't even keying it.

I am thinking that old tube stuff really hates me.
I picked up the old O- 12 Heathkit oscilloscope at a yard sale for $2. Don't know if it works.

4961.jpg

4964.jpg

4963.jpg

An old tuber experimenter and his sanity and money are both soon parted.

Not trying to harsh your buzz too much there Homer. Have many several locals around here too that insist on buying up and trying to run these old made-for-CB tube amps and I just sit back and chuckle at them. Something is always blowing up, quitting working, or they hammer them out for every single watt they will do and then wonder why the tubes have worn out and they're re-tubing whole boxes every 6 months and crying about how much the tubes cost and how much trouble it is to find good tubes.

I can't go there.

Hey, nothing wrong with the idea of tube amps.....but if it were me I would get a well built modern ham duty amp and treat it right and be done with it.

Good luck!

Blew the fuse on the back, a 4 amp. Put in a 5 amp. Blew it. Put in a 10 amp, it made a buzzing sound and smoked something in the transceiver. Lights out, a little puff of smoke and I wasn't even keying it.
Try a 20 (y)

I picked up a Kenrich Eagle 200 today for free and was tuning it in when it went all smoking. Filled the garage with stink. I don't know what blew, but . . .

Then I was listening to DX on 27.385 LSB on a Siltronix 1011D Comanche, had made a few contacts with it, and was working in the garage when it went dead. Blew the fuse on the back, a 4 amp. Put in a 5 amp. Blew it. Put in a 10 amp, it made a buzzing sound and smoked something in the transceiver. Lights out, a little puff of smoke and I wasn't even keying it.

I am thinking that old tube stuff really hates me.
I picked up the old O- 12 Heathkit oscilloscope at a yard sale for $2. Don't know if it works.

HomerBB -

Some days are good, and some days are .... well, you know.

Reactions: Enterprise312ok
people who make negative comments about tube amps are the ones who do not understand them or know how to operate them. They are the "muscle amp" of radio, and transistor amps are the junkie hondas and toyotas.....you follow me now? Pull your head outta your ass and realize that you have an OLD amp that needs gone through before you use it. Caps get dried out with age, and tubes get weak, and it probably isnt set up and tuned right. Judging from my findings on this forum, there isnt too much knowledge floating around on here, and it didnt take me long to realize that nobody can spell words correctly, or type a whole sentence that makes any sense! So with that, I am going to a REAL forum because this one sucks!

people who make negative comments about tube amps are the ones who do not understand them or know how to operate them. They are the "muscle amp" of radio, and transistor amps are the junkie hondas and toyotas.....you follow me now? Pull your head outta your ass and realize that you have an OLD amp that needs gone through before you use it. Caps get dried out with age, and tubes get weak, and it probably isnt set up and tuned right. Judging from my findings on this forum, there isnt too much knowledge floating around on here, and it didnt take me long to realize that nobody can spell words correctly, or type a whole sentence that makes any sense! So with that, I am going to a REAL forum because this one sucks!

LOL, now that's some funny stuff :LOL:

yur inthuzyastik attitood towords shareing yur nalledge iz ovurwelming. sum day i hopes to bee haf as smart as yu and hav a a wundurful pursunalitie just like yu! :love:

You missed a couple capital letters and a few apostrophes. I guess you fit right in here. :LOL:

Thats all i ran till last week,tube radios,Siltronix 1011d two of them,aand a ts520 kenwood on hf...and have a homemdae cx250 amp for 10-160...now a yeasue fl2100b....tubes sound better and are more forgiving.Check you house voltages...And dont forget to dip the tubes when you tune up....73s de JW

Clearly I neither understand them, nor do I know how to operate them. So I ask around.

If crazy_cooter knows he could easily have shed some light on my dilemma.
Instead he chose to vent about something that has nothing to do with my situation.

Pick on me, tease me, it's okay. I titled this thread with a twist of humor, and likely I am culpable in someway for the burnouts. However, at the end of the day I'll be looking for possible reasons, and hopeful fixes for my equipment going offline suddenly, and maybe a tutorial that will prevent future shutdowns.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.