• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Tuning SWR with high output

Aha! Just up the road from Reedsport!

I spent seven months in Reedsport one weekend...
Actually, it was in 1986. I was overseeing a Navy Ship repair contract in Reedsport, done on USS Conquest, a WWII / Korea - era wooden-hulled minesweeper. Even the ship's captain, who was really disgusted at being sent so far from Puget Sound, had to admit that his ship needed wood repairs - REALLY needed them, and when the underwater hull was done, it was dang near perfect! The carpenters even matched the wood grain from one board to the next. It was pretty sad that they had to cover it up with fiberglass, but ...

And I did get a picture of Lawrence! :D

Aha! Just up the road from Reedsport!

I spent seven months in Reedsport one weekend...
Actually, it was in 1986. I was overseeing a Navy Ship repair contract in Reedsport, done on USS Conquest, a WWII / Korea - era wooden-hulled minesweeper. Even the ship's captain, who was really disgusted at being sent so far from Puget Sound, had to admit that his ship needed wood repairs - REALLY needed them, and when the underwater hull was done, it was dang near perfect! The carpenters even matched the wood grain from one board to the next. It was pretty sad that they had to cover it up with fiberglass, but ...

And I did get a picture of Lawrence! :D
That's an amazing part of history right there! Must of been at the harbor that's now owned by "Fredwahls". A lot of the deadliest catch ships are in and out of their facility! My step father actually did his share of work on ships in that harbor.

I was going to ask that as well. Do you not get a lot of noise from the lines??
I know when I passed under power lines like that, my radio would get a lot of noise and also it was hard to make contacts as well. Those power lines are an RX killer from my experiences with them. Always want to park as far away from them as possible. And I don't mean just not be under them. I mean get away from them completely.
If you happen to know a different spot with no power lines are located, might want to just see if there is a difference in noise levels between the 2 areas.
Although one area may not be as high, if its power line free, you may find you'll make more contacts this way. Less noise allows Bette receiving.
Just some food for thought. I am in no way trying to tell too how to operate your station, just throwing out some info and ideas to possibly help make more contacts is all. Can't hurt to try at least.
Have a great day and God Bless.

That's an amazing part of history right there! Must of been at the harbor that's now owned by "Fredwahls". A lot of the deadliest catch ships are in and out of their facility! My step father actually did his share of work on ships in that harbor.
Don't know who owns it now; the contractor was Pacific Marine Ship Repair. Included a functional marine railway for hauling the 'sweep out of the water. With all of that wood in the hull, a minesweeper is way heavier than a steel ship of the same general dimensions.

I've looked at the site with Google Earth, and it appears that the building where my office was is now the Umpqua Veterinary Hospital or something.

Well, it was a zoo when I was there! :D:whistle:

I was going to ask that as well. Do you not get a lot of noise from the lines??
I know when I passed under power lines like that, my radio would get a lot of noise and also it was hard to make contacts as well. Those power lines are an RX killer from my experiences with them. Always want to park as far away from them as possible. And I don't mean just not be under them. I mean get away from them completely.
If you happen to know a different spot with no power lines are located, might want to just see if there is a difference in noise levels between the 2 areas.
Although one area may not be as high, if its power line free, you may find you'll make more contacts this way. Less noise allows Bette receiving.
Just some food for thought. I am in no way trying to tell too how to operate your station, just throwing out some info and ideas to possibly help make more contacts is all. Can't hurt to try at least.
Have a great day and God Bless.
I have tried a different spot in the same location, I've never noticed any differences. Although the power lines seem close in the picture. Their actually very high. Their strung up on giant steel towers, not wooden poles. More people are interested in the spot than I thought would be so I'm gunna take some
Pictures when I get up there next! I'm gunna have to take some videos aswell. Anyhow back to the RF noise... I let my squelch blast whenever I'm in the rig and when I come down the mountain it's always the same static.

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.