• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turn a 5-tone beep into a bump-bump? Eh?

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
I considered a title like "see the sausage being made" for this topic. What it's about is converting a 5-tone roger beep board to a "Bump-Bump". For about 25 years we would convert Taiwan-made "Roger K" beep boards. End result was a beep, pause and a second beep. A variable-pitch control would get you something like a foghorn at its lowest pitch, hence the name it acquired.

Started out as a customer's request for a noise nobody else had. Not surprisingly people started asking for it soon after he took that radio home. Eventually the supply of Roger K boards finally dried up for good and I've been telling people tough luck for that item. Weird part was how many of the modded boards would get removed from one radio and put into the next until the wires had been spliced three more more times after being removed from the previous radio.

Yeah, I know. Lotsa folk dislike noise toys. Just the same, you don't succeed in business by telling people they can't have what they ask for. Scored some 5-tone roger beep boards, and saw that the design is impressively similar to the Roger K. Just one problem. I need a schematic before I try to modify a gadget. So that's where the process begins. Tracing down a schematic diagram of the thing.

yI5pX9.jpg

Here is my starting point. Identify how many of each part and fetch them onto the blank drawing. Simplifies fetching them while trying to concentrate on where they connect.

Here's my starting point. Found it easiest to identify how many of each component I'll need and simply fetch them to the drawing all at once. Dragging each one to where it goes in the diagram is less distracting than stopping to use the component-fetch function while trying to remember where it will connect.

dwwosQ.jpg

Next step is to add power/ground, the external six wires that connect it to the radio, and start tracing down the details. My vague plan is to post intermediate stages of this process until the final drawing is complete and correct.
Both.

Kinda like they say about sausage. You'll enjoy it more if you don't watch it being made.

AEDRrY.jpg

Whups, it got too late Saturday night to post this. Now here it is Sunday night and at least I have some progress to show for it. This is all the patience I had for it tonight. At least I have five of the six wires accounted for. Maybe I'll crawl a bit farther down the rabbit hole tomorrow night. This is strictly an after-hours project for now.

Well, sure. But bear in mind this is a project with profit in mind. Passing it along here doesn't cost me a thing. The whole point of reverse-engineering this toy is to pay the bills.

Here is the final (I think) version. Could use some cleaning up. I'm too close to cross-eyed to go back and verify the accuracy right now. That can wait.

bXRukQ.jpg

When I'm confident that any errors have been cleaned up I'll post a higher-res rendition. Murphy's Law says there has to be at least one error in there somewhere.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.