• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Turner plus 3 mic problem

SCOTT 821

Jul 19, 2014
Michigan
Hello there, I have an old early 80's sears roadtalker model 663, I also have a Turner plus 3 mic, but here's the problem. When I transmit on sideband, the rf meter goes all the way over and then the radio dies out without me even speaking. The mic seems to work on am just fine though. Another thing I noticed is the tx lamp goes yellow instead of red, I think it's like a caution lamp. To make shure the mic even worked, I tried using the PA system and I had everything hooked up okay, but I wouldn't come over the speaker. I do think the mic works, because when I adjust the gain the rf meter moves a bit from the dead key position on am. I've tried having the gain down but it still don't work. I know the mic does work on SSB, because I've seen online that people have used on SSB. This is a great mic from reviews online, and I would really like to have it working.I think my problem is that the mic is putting too much power or over modulated for the radio. If you have any idea as to how I could get this to work, feedback would be appreciated. Thanks, and 73s ;)

The 'yellow' LED doesn't mean 'caution'. But in another sense - it does. Looks like it is trying to transmit and receive at the same time. Either you have improperly wired the mic to the radio; or there is a problem with the SSB transistor switch. I'm inclined to think it is the latter, so you would probably be better off to send your radio in for repair. If you have the stock mic; then try that first.

Last edited:
Hi there! I appreciate your replies. The radio does work fine with the original stock mic. I'm just trying to get this turner to work with the sears because it's better thab my stock mic. The sears takes a 5 prong din mic. When the turner outputs the standard 4 prong, so I bought a converter for it that fits in the radio fine. From what it sounds like, the coverter may be putting the wrong wires to the holes in the mic socket. Thanks again for your feedback and 73s :D

One thing that I would like to add here is that the light is only yellow when I transmit. the green rx lamp seems to be fine when I'm recieving. I'm adding this in case you thought the reason why it was doing both was because of a constant yellow lamp. Nope, only when I transmit. Thought I might wanna clear that up just in case!

Turn the gain all the way down on the mic, switch to ssb and key up. The meter should not move if it does there is something wrong with the radio , mic or adapter. If the meter does not move then turn the gain up till it does then back it down slightly. You might be getting feedback.

Yeah, feedback may be a problem. I noticed when I tested the PA that even though my voice wouldn't wouldn't come over the mic would squeal when when I keyed it with the gain up a bit. Like I said though, I still have the problem even with the gain down and the amp battery out (the mic has a voice amp).

Also, the mic does modulate without me even talking on SSB and rf meter goes all the way over with a little hum sound and the radio dies out. I don't think it's the radio though because it's fine with the stock mic to answer w9cll.

I use a +2 with a Cobra 140 GTL it doesn't like anything over 3 an I get feed back ( on SSB ) Am I don't have any problems you can dial it up .Ps when I say 3 that's pushing the envelope !

I take it you're using it as a base station? thats what I'm doing with my roadtalker 40. It's a mobile, but I have an old robyn SX - 12 power converter base module. So it seems your + 2 works fine huh? do you have to use a prong converter for your mic? I was thinking the mic pinout converter I'm using may be my problem but probably not.

Last edited:
I take it you're using it as a base station? thats what I'm doing with my roadtalker 40. It's a mobile, but I have an old robyn SX - 12 power converter base module. So it seems your + 2 works fine huh? do you have to use a prong converter for your mic? I was thinking the mic pinout converter I'm using may be my problem but probably not.

If your stock mic works correctly and the Turner mic isn't working right; then the problem is probably your converter plug. Not all converter plugs work with all radios - just because it uses the same pin arrangement. Not all RoadTalkers are built by the same mfr - either!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned