• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Twin Wilsons 2000 on hotbar can you help?

hardluck

Dec 11, 2005
I am new to the forum so, Hi everybody, glad to be here.

Not new to cb's had them for years use them for work (trucking) but now starting to get into it.

A few years back I saw a couple of articles on this. Now I cant find anything about it anywhere, did the Google thing, also no help there. What i'm looking for is info on how to make a mount that holds two antennas (I beleave 18" Thats inches apart) that you run hot, isolated from ground. Then ground the coax. Is that right ? Any help? Any Pics? Is it worth the time to make.

I have more than a few antennas kicking around and want use them (or try them) befor buying any thing new. I will be installing this on a fiberglass topper behind the cab on my Dodge Dakota.

Sounds like some kind of directional setup. With the antennas setup one hot and one grounded it will be directional. Dont know if that what your looking for?

hardluck said:
I am new to the forum so, Hi everybody, glad to be here.

A few years back I saw a couple of articles on this. Now I cant find anything about it anywhere, did the Google thing, also no help there. What i'm looking for is info on how to make a mount that holds two antennas (I beleave 18" Thats inches apart) that you run hot, isolated from ground. Then ground the coax. Is that right ? Any help? Any Pics? Is it worth the time to make.

I've seen pics of this setup before-- I think it was 2 10k antennas on a hotbar about 18 inches apart-- i've only seen this once and it was in a picture
I think it was here www.crbelectronics.com/cbpics/cbpics.html
There should be a pic of a guy running 2 10ks on a hotbar right on the first page--I've heard of guys doing this and they run the 1st antenna regular and the 2nd they connect the hotbar to the antenna ground connection and the antenna connection to ground-- kinda backwards-- center coax conductor to ground and braid on coax to center conductor connection on the antenna--- one regular and one backwards--someone ewas trying to explain this to me awhile back and I did'nt really like the idea-- but this guy swore it worked-- still doesn't seem right to me but anyways hope the pic is some help--- I know there are guys on this forum that have done 2 on a hotbar before-- if anyone can tell you how to do it Kale certainly can-- I think he actually did the one in the picture I sent you the link for
[/img]

Cheech, thanks but what i'm looking for is both hot not a directional setup with one hot and one grounded.

Bushwacker, For some reason the link wont work for me right now, may just be me will try latter.

Best results will probly be with just one antennas. Two hot antennas tend to help when used on a semi. They help to create a more no directional pattern or so I have heard. I dont know how you want to mount the antennas but the fiberglass topper will not provide a ground plane for any antenna setup you put on it.

hardluck said:
Cheech, thanks but what i'm looking for is both hot not a directional setup with one hot and one grounded.

Bushwacker, For some reason the link wont work for me right now, may just be me will try latter.
It might not work from here-- just do a search for crb electronics and look in the pictures section-- it will be on the first page

I sure would like to know whow this thread WOULD have ended. 10 years ago, I ran a ball mount and 102" whip mounted to the top front end & center of my Fiberglass topper for several years, even ran a Palomar Elite 550 swinging about 450 through it. I had no problems, got out just fine and was loud. I realize I did not have the ground plane that I would have had with a van or such but I did get out and was pretty forward directional due to the cab right in front of the antenna a few inches.

I am back with a newer truck with topper and wanting to do it again. This time I want to do it as right as I can, any suggestions on how to create the ground plane with my fiberglass topper?

BobinFla,
If it worked, it sounds like you did it fairly 'right' the last time. :)
I can think of several ways of making that fiberglass topper work as a groundplane, or the other half of the antenna. One way would be to line that fiberglass with some kind of metal conductor, then connect it to the metal of the rest of the vehicle.
Like chrome trim? Ever seen the chrome tape used for trim? The thin metal, tape backed stuff, not the plastic stuff. It's metal, it conducts, it can be an antenna or part of one. Really get fancy and cut designs in it, lightning bolt/barbed wire/diamond-plate? Naked lady with ~really~ long legs?? Think I'd better quit, my imagination isn't suited for this kind'a stuff this early in the morning.
- 'Doc

Flattened beer cans pasted all over that topper!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.