• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Twister Amps (buyer beware)

rabbiporkchop

Jan 18, 2007
pennsylvania
This guy thinks he knows how to build amplifiers...
20150113_165732_zpsn1w54qjn.jpg

20150113_165721_zps3djf49ix.jpg

20160305_110107_zpsasokxtr7.jpg

received_1190674167655519_zpsakacplbr.jpeg

received_1190674134322189_zpshl2ii4bh.jpeg

Seems ok so far? It gets better..
Clean signal into amp...
Clean_zps3bzeukr2.jpg

Nasty carrier? WTF!!!!
Twister2_zpsleo89idx.jpg

Nasty splatter..
Twister1_zpsp397ufaq.jpg

This has been a public service announcement...

Needless to say, it won't be getting any airtime, and will be getting junked.
Can you tell if it biased as a class "C" push pull? You could bias the amp to class "AB" push pull add some filtering and it might just work for you, unless you just don't want to mess with it.

It should be named "Titty Twister".

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
If you put feedback circuits on it, maybe get rid of coil/ inductor on input and put trimmers across all transformers and retune amp properly. I bet it will do better. Probably has 330 across input transformers when it should be closer to a 910pf or 1000pf. That would alleviate need for inductor. The output should be either 680pf or 1000pf. Depends on the mix of material he used for transformers. I have redone many like this. The biggest issue is they aren't tuned right and they become more like a spread spectrum transmitter. In my early days, I had a really cheap GPX alarm clock. 5-10pf too much or not enough meant bleeding over radio. lol didn't have a scope or other necessities back then. But it gave me an idea if it was a harmic turd or not. Also too many windings on splitters/ combiners. Need 5 @ most. Yes I have done a lot of these rebuilds.

If you put feedback circuits on it, maybe get rid of coil/ inductor on input and put trimmers across all transformers and retune amp properly. I bet it will do better. Probably has 330 across input transformers when it should be closer to a 910pf or 1000pf. That would alleviate need for inductor. The output should be either 680pf or 1000pf. Depends on the mix of material he used for transformers. I have redone many like this. The biggest issue is they aren't tuned right and they become more like a spread spectrum transmitter. In my early days, I had a really cheap GPX alarm clock. 5-10pf too much or not enough meant bleeding over radio. lol didn't have a scope or other necessities back then. But it gave me an idea if it was a harmic turd or not. Also too many windings on splitters/ combiners. Need 5 @ most. Yes I have done a lot of these rebuilds.

Shhhhhh...Let him put a price on it first. :D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.