• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UFC anyone?

I watch quite a bit of it, as well as Pride (which I like better).

I do have to add some comments for the casual viewer:

Mixed martial arts and just about everything else, these guys are the real deal.

They call this "mixed martial arts" on TV, but UFC has long ceased to be what I believe should be considered martial arts. These guys are the "real deal" at learning the sport's rules, constraints, and environment and adapting to what is effective in that environment, which is fun to watch. However, UFC / Pride / whatever is really a sport, no different in nature than Olympic Greco-Roman wrestling, or even modern Judo. Martial arts is about a lot more than just learning how to be effective given a specific set of rules or a controlled environment. The fighting aspects aside, most martial arts have also contain a personal development and humanitarian aspect that these sports ignore. The martial artist learned not only fighting skills, but also how to be compassionate and kind. I saw on one fight they referred to the fighters' study of "Budo", but it's obvious that they have no concept of what that even means when they use it in reference to the UFC.

Anyway, I didn't want to start a long discussion on this, but I do want people to think about the differences between "martial arts" and what is clearly a sport.

s

Mole, you didn't catch the meaning of what I meant by 'mixed martial arts". The different fighting styles they use in the cage are many. The fighters take from many different "martial arts", and other forms of fighting combat. THey incorporate boxing, kick boxing, karate, amateur wrestling, ju jitsu, etc. Many of these fighters have studied, learned and practiced martial arts. I understand the whole philosophy thing regarding the martial arts, yep, the spiritual aspect along with the physical. Martial arts isn't just about fighting or self defense...
Anyway, I really like alot of the fighters. They are not only rough and brutally tough, but many of them are very intelligent and articulate. Great sport, if you like fighting.
Oh ya, of course they need rules, if they didn't have strict rules, it would be street fighting - and you would not need a ref. Only body bags and ambulances... :D ;)

Me typed a long one tooooo. LOL I know, way too much time on my hands.

LoneWolf TN

Lonewolf, I agree with you. These guys are talented and tough, and they study many different styles. It's great entertainment and great sport. I was just trying to make a point for the casual viewer that they understand it's a sport, that's all. I also watch as many of the martial arts competitions (forms competitions, breaking, etc.). All of that is pretty much sport or gymnastics now also. That's OK, but it seems to me something is being lost with all the publicity. The one thing I think isn't very good about the whole Pride / UFC thing is that it gives the impression that to truly be a good martial artist, you must study 4 or 5 different arts. The problem with that is that it takes a lifetime to learn some of these arts, so they never really learn much. I used to really enjoy the old UFC when there were no weight classes and limited rules. That's when you got to see some people that were really advanced in a particular art face off with someone else and see what happened. Even though it was considered barbaric, at least you got to see better skill. Anyway, now I'm rambling, so it's time to quit....

d

I agree, the old UFC was really interesting. A 180lb guy taking out a huge huge man.
LOL, I hear ya on the rambling. I'm sure everyone on this forum can agree that I also tend to ramble waaaaaay toooooooo much. LMAO... :D

Have a good one, LoneWolf TN :LOL:

Ny the way - all the Hooters have the pay per view broadcasts live. That is where I saw the last one and asked the manager about it. Hooters has a licensing agreement with the UFC.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.