• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

UHF/VHF tri-band all-mode mobile?

Jacob

Jeeper Creeper
Jun 25, 2011
SW WA State
I'll be getting my technician ticket soon, and am looking for a mobile to use both in the Jeep and in the house.

I would like to have a mobile all/multi-mode with at least 6/2/70. 10 meter would be a plus, but not absolutely necessary. Is there such a thing, or do I need to buy some expensive HF/UHF/VHF rig to have more than just FM in a mobile?

If there is no such thing, I guess I'll save my pennies and buy all flavors rig. I'll get my general ticket at some point anyway so I'll be able to use those HF bands (I've already got a bunch of towers erected all around my house, and I didn't even have to put them up. They are called "trees." :laugh: )

It's just that those radios are a bit above my budget. I'm disabled and on a small fixed income, and I was hoping to spend about $500 or less on my first rig, which is all I can afford right now--hence the "saving my pennies" part. But it's going to drive me crazy if I get my ticket and don't have a radio. I want to be able to hit the PTT as soon as I see my call sign! (y)

I also understand that those all flavors rigs don't perform quite as well as the more dedicated rigs, which is another reason why I hoped to just get an all-mode UHF/VHF rig. Then I would add an HF base station later on after I get my general, since I don't plan to do mobile HF anyway.

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate hearing them.

And yeah, I searched. In fact, I have been searching and researching for weeks now, and my head is full of model numbers and specs and all kinds of crap, in addition to my license studies. My poor malfunctioning brain is pretty overloaded right now, so if I missed an obvious answer somewhere, I apologize.

Thanks.

For what you want you will have to get an HF/VHF/UHF radio. You can get multimode single band radios for any of the bands you are looking for but to have all in one package will require an HF radio. Look for an FT-857D or FT-897 or an Icom IC-706Mk2G on the used market. They are all good radios that go mobile very well except the 897 is more suited for base operation. You shouldn't have to spend much more than your present budget for any of those on the used market and a good antenna can be made from wire.

I would agree with Kilowatt...an all in one radio is what I would be looking at really hard,save a few more bucks and go that route,that way you will have you a HF ready radio for when ya get your general class ticket....

I have been seriously debating about getting a Yeasu FT 857 for my truck...would be nice to have everything in one radio instead of 2 or more radios,mics,spread all over the cab

Thanks guys.

Yeah, having everything in one radio is convenient, and one of the things I have been thinking about. It seems a bit much to have separate radios in my Jeep for 6, 2 and 70cm, then bring them all in for base operation, in addition to an HF base rig.

However, I've been looking at all the ones mentioned, and haven't been able to find any of them for less than $700 used, usually more like $800-$900 (though I could get an original IC 706 for a little over $500. Too bad I don't want an original).

You would think that someone would make a tri- or quad-band VHF/UHF all mode rig. I thought the Yaesu FT 8900R would make the perfect technician class radio if it only had more modes. 10 meter FM is useless for a technician.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Thanks again.

i think you may have a problem in that some of your constraints are colliding with one another.

you can have the bands you want, the modes you want, and all of it in one radio, but its not going to fit the price you want.

there are many radios that do any one of these bands and do more than FM, but not all the bands in one box without going for an icom (706 or 7000) or yaesu (817/857/897) mobile or portable.

to put it another way, the multimode multiband VHF rig just really hasn't been done, and the only ones that comes to mind, the icom 820/821 (which only do 2m and 70cm) are specialized and far from cheap.

i think the most sensible way to get what you want is save a bit longer, up the budget, and get the right radio for all the things you want. unless you get a really good deal, you're not going to find that radio for $500.

that said, i have an Icom ic7000 and i think it makes a fine mobile and a base rig. takes me a couple minutes to take it out of the pickup and into the house. i imagine you would get a similar experience with any of the others.

i think you may have a problem in that some of your constraints are colliding with one another.

Precisely.

The kind of radio I want is just a little out of reach. If I could find one for around $600, I could probably swing it. I might even be able to stretch it to around $700 if I wanted to be really stupid and seriously cut back on some other things, like oh... gas, food, soap and shampoo, etc. Who needs to eat, shower or go anywhere anyway? :)

'Course, I'd still need an antenna or two.

The thing is, after thinking about it, I can't see myself saving any more than that any time soon. I got bills to pay and such, and I imagine 6 or 12 months from now I'm not going to have any more to spend. Possibly less, depending on what comes up.

The only other option is going with a limited FM rig, which might be good for a start, but for me it would likely be the end, as well.

So, I am basically screwed, and I should probably return the study books for a refund and just give it up. I don't know why I thought I could do the ham thing on a disability income anyway.

I was really excited about doing this, but I guess I'm trying to bite more than I can chew. Oh well.

Perhaps the problem is that you are trying to run before you learn how to walk. Thousands of hams are on a disability or other fixed income. Look around for a ham flea market in your area or inquire at your local ham club. Many members will loan or even give unused radios to new hams. You don't need to start off with the radio you intend to keep forever.My first station was bought for $125. Sure it was "just" an old Heath DX-60 transmitter with the HR-10 receiver and HG-10 VFO and only did AM or CW but I had a ball with it and worked many stations until I picked up an Icom IC-735. Later I picked up a Yaesu FT-857D which I still have as well as a classic Kenwood TS-820S with matching VFO, antenna tuner, external speaker with filters and MC-50 microphone. I have quite literally spent about ten thousand dollars on ham radio gear and am in the process of spending another six or seven thousand replacing all my antennas and tower. This by no means came about overnight nor did it come easy however it all came about by acquiring what I could when I could and not by shooting for the top at the start.It has taken me over two years to acquire the antennas and new tower which I still need to order.Ham radio can be as expensive as you want to make it or it can cost very little to get started. Be patient and look/ask around and you will be able to get something decent in your price range just don't depend on retail or Ebay for what you want in that price range.

Just keep looking, when I first started I found an IC-706 with a power supply and desk mic for $450, built a copper cactus for 2 meter for about $30 and made a home brew G5RV with wire I had laying around just had to buy some 450 window line and RG-8 coax, also borrowed an antenna tuner from my elmer until I could afford one of my own. Have had a ball on HF, first contact was a fellow in Germany. KEEP LOOKING and something will turn up.
73's
de KD8KCH

Boy sounds like someone's having a big pity party.

One of or local hams found a icom 757 in excellent shape a a second hand store a few weeks ago for $25, oh yea he got an Ameritron 600w amp to go with it for $20.

There's stuff out there you just have to look, wait and have patience.

One box with all you want is probably going to be out of your price range as simple as that.

You can pick up icom VHF/UHF all mode radios for a few hundred bucks when they show up.

6m/10m can be had on many hf transceivers and can be found for under $500.

The other thing is what are you planning to do

VHF/UHF ssb activity is not popular in all areas ( is it in yours)
6/10m fm is even less. Popular in most places and ssb openings are few and activity isn't always booming either.

Most areas VHF/UHF fm activity is the busiest
20/40/80 m ssb is far more popular than 6/10m most of the time.

So you might want to really evaluate what you need for your real communications needs as opposed to what you think you want.

Do you be long tona local club, many club members tend to get rid of things or have extra stuff that they'll sell reasonably or even loan. Our club even has club gear that we loan out to any members who need it.

Perhaps the problem is that you are trying to run before you learn how to walk.

Yeah, I resemble that remark. That's me all the way (as a child I never crawled, I just got up and walked).

Sure, I could start small, maybe with a two band FM rig, or even something like the FT 8900R. But as soon as I got it, I would be frustrated by its limitations and itching to do all the things I can't do with it.

Seems to me it would be better, if at all possible, to get something I can really grow into and not have to worry about needing or wanting more for a long time. Especially considering how fast I grow into things. I'm getting my tech in a couple weeks at the most (I may try in two days), and I will be going for my general no more than a month after that.

But other's mileage may vary. I may end up getting a two bander for a while and learn to be happy while I have it. I also have a Cobra 148GTL that I could replace a crystal and operate on 10 meter SSB if I want.

What do you think of the IC 706 MKII (not G)? What are the disadvantages? I recently saw one for $495 shipped.

Sorry about the little pity party. I just get a little frustrated sometimes.

Boy sounds like someone's having a big pity party.

A big one? :redface: Well, at least it didn't last long.

Mostly I tend t take things in stride, but when I get excited about something I can get impatient and momentarily frustrated when I run into obstacles. I apologize for venting on the forum. I shouldn't have done that (note to self: take a few minutes before hitting send).

I do intend to keep looking, and keep re-evaluating what I want and need. I'm determined to do this, one way or another. Thank you for the advice (and thanks to everyone else too).

PS. no I don't belong to a club yet. I've been trying to get a hold of them and can't.

Last edited:
Many clubs are pretty inactive in the summer, and get more active after Labour Day. So you might have better luck contacting them after summer.

I bought a used Yaesu FT-857D about a month ago that I found a guy on QRZ selling.

Here is what I got with it.

Yaesu FT-857D with separation kit (No box though)

DC Power Cord

Manual

Signalink USB

Samlex 1223 power supply

MFJ 1124 Power Strip

LDG Z100 Plus Auto Tuner

Yaesu CAT Control Cable

Motorola External Speaker

Look that stuff up on the internet and see what it cost new,

I paid $650 for the entire package!

I only bought it to re-sell for a profit, which I did, made $350

So the deals are there, just have to have the money ready to go when you see it.

I see an 857D on QRZ right now for $875 or best offer, offer 700, whats the worst he can say, NO? Who cares.

Stay away from that mkii if you are wanting UHF, it does not have it.

Keep looking and don't be afraid to make offers.

There is a hamfest Saturday at the Southwest Washington Fairgrounds

American Radio Relay League | Ham Radio Association and Resources

And one in August in Lacey WA

Go there look and try out the radio before you buy, make offers

I bought a used Yaesu FT-857D about a month ago that I found a guy on QRZ selling.

Here is what I got with it.

{deleted long list of cool stuff}

I paid $650 for the entire package!

Wow, nice one.

Stay away from that mkii if you are wanting UHF, it does not have it.

Yeah, I saw that.

If I can't find an all band/all mode I can afford, I might just get a tri- or quad band and play with FM for a while and learn to be happy with what I have.

Keep looking and don't be afraid to make offers.

There is a hamfest Saturday at the Southwest Washington Fairgrounds

Yep, I was just considering going there to take my exam! I'm not through with the Gordon West book yet, but I'm already passing my test exams, so I might as well take a shot at it if I can make it there.

Go there look and try out the radio before you buy, make offers

Will do. I can't really try them out until I get my license, so hopefully I'll pass.

Though I'm not sure anyone will take plastic at a swap meet, and I don't have cash (at least not that much cash. I have enough for the $15 exam fee, though (y)). Still I'll look around.

Thanks for the advice.

And don't forget about ebay. There are often some deals to be found there if you keep an eye out for them. There's always someone selling something in hopes of funding a new project.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.