• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Un-cripple the newest RCI base 69 "Plus".

nomadradio

Analog Retentive
Apr 3, 2005
Louisville, KY
www.nomadradio.com
There was a time when a customer might ask "Is this radio discontinued"? I would answer with the question "Is it in your hand?". If it is, the time that passed from when it left the assembly line, got packed up, sent to customs, packed into a container, shipped across the pacific at 12 knots, unloaded into a warehouse in California, passed customs, goes to the manufacturer's warehouse, then to a distributor's warehouse, then to a retailer's shelf and into your hands means the next model is already coming off that same assembly line.

In other words, if you bought it, then it's probably discontinued.

Tricky part with "10-meter" radios is that when production changes, the "Masonic Lodge handshake" needed to un-cripple it will also change.

Had the first RCI Base 69 "PLUS" come in to convert. Found several posts on YouTube that told me NOT ONE USEFUL THING about how to do this. Had to rely on an old friend who still sells new radios to get the details.

So here it is, un crippling the newest RCI 69 plus.

This is the new circuit-board number, mostly surface mount now.

GaiMkM.jpg

So here's the front-left corner of the circuit board where all the PLL stuff resides.

RcpI4b.jpg

Directly beneath on the 'solder' side of the pc board you'll find this 100 ohm 1/8-Watt resistor. Remove it.

tPzFy7.jpg

You'll find one set of six jumper pins and one set of three at the front edge of the pc board.

Plug them as seen here, the one with three pins connects pin 2 to pin 3, the left two pins. The six-pin header gets 4 and 5 connected.

ndLXll.jpg

And that's it. The six-position band knob along with the "High/Low" lever switch gets you twelve bands.

And if I live long enough, maybe I'll start posting this stuff in a video.

Maybe.

Last edited:

If anyone is wondering what the two cut wires are in Nomad's 4th pic, that's factory and would go to the 10KC switch if they had included one on this model.
LC

Reactions: Eldorado828
Wow, great job but it’s too bad really to see all this surface mount crap these days. Just take me back to do the 80’s all over again.

With the 10kc switch and the tone control from the 29 base the 69 plus would be hard to beat. Maybe good enough to retire the old 2517.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.