• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 880 and rfx75

undecidedcallsign

Nov 3, 2013
Do I am turning in my 980ssb in for an 880 because I don't use side bands and there is no mods for them. Around here being heard is tough. Not sure if I should go with 75 rfx or 150rfx. Can anyone tell me the depth of the radio with the sink attached? Are they the same size in depth?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Mobile. I have a Texas star Mod V plus sitting here but was told that it is not any good for my Uniden. Not sure what the reason is as It was quit long ago I was told that

I was running an old Mod V with my 980. I lowered DK around a watt or so. It worked well and got good reports. Just keep your 980, turn DK down and use the Mod V. An 880 isn't gonna sound any better than the 980.

Will I have to change my dead key to power any external? What do you think about the TS Mod V plus I have?

Yeah i bought the 880 off ebay and was going to have it dropped shipped right to Bells Cb. I was looking at the Rfx mod. I figured shipping my 980 off to have the DK turned down would cost 40-50.00. There is no one close in my area that I trust to do it

Lowering the DK on your 980 is very easy, you can do it yourself in just a few minutes. Your Mod V is fine, but it likes a DK of around 2 watts or less.

Lowering the DK on your 980 is very easy, you can do it yourself in just a few minutes. Your Mod V is fine, but it likes a DK of around 2 watts or less.

Without a meter how could I do it myself? I have meter that measures swr/modulation/power but it isn't digital so I am a little hesitant to try to gauge a small measurement of 2 watts

Then just send it off to have it done.

It doesn't have to be precisely 2 watts. An analog meter is fine. A digital meter is not required. It sounds as though you lack the necessary skill or motivation, so maybe you'd be better off paying someone to do it for you.

id keep the 980,, I heard the 880 doesn't have all the adjustment pots like the 980 and not so easy to turn down the dead key

That is like that in all AM only cb radio, any SSB radio like a 148, grant xl, 122xl, Galaxy 949/959 will all have those pots.

does a mod v have a relay?
the best way I've found for adjusting a dead key to run a box is you hook it all up, turn it all on and lower the dead key until the relay turns off, then turn it back up until the relay clicks back on again. key it up a few times to make sure it's consistent.
no meter needed.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.