• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 amplifier suggestions

Thanks to those that helped on this situation, got it all goin now.
It came down to a SWR/OHM. I re-installed a new coax and roof mount, SWR now is 1.0 ch16-28 with 47ohm (according to the mfj269). That 1/2-3/4W carrier from the radio is now an 85W carrier, and the 6-8 W PEP from the radio, is now 450W on the dx500. Great to know the amp is just cruising at those numbers.

By the way, nothing was/is wrong with the mod v. It was off also because of the SWR/OHM. It now shows 20w carrier and 80w PEP, from the 1/2w radio carrier to 7w radio PEP (WHICH IS NOT IN LUNE ANYMORE). its on my washington, doing fine.

That's me...after bouncing from stock, to peaked radios, then the big radio, and then getting into the small 2-pill amp, then the 4-pill amp, then the 5-pill...I'm back to a 100-watt barefoot radio in one car and a 2-pill behind the radio in the other.

If I had to do it again (from what I've learned), it would be a barefoot radio and a 4-pill amplifier...good clean power, amp is just loafing along, and no special radio tuning needed.

I am with you with one clarification. I am a supporter of a properly tuned and aligned radio. A stock cb set running 60% modulation and monday morning/Friday evening "ballpart" assembly line tune is not being all it can. That does not mean though one should try to make a 40 watt radio out of a Cobra 2000 either. I run a Uniden Madison on the base, dead key is set at 2 watts and the PEP is 15-17 watts AM & SSB. On SSB it drives a Texas Star 350 just fine to 250-280 watts when talking. No need to try and drive another 75 watts from the amp.

By barefoot, I was implying a tuned but not modified radio...again, guys get hung up on the quantity and forget about quality.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Im gonna tell yyou what I tell alot of people and thats the fist 250 watts is the best bang for the buck spent and is absolutely going to be the biggest jump or improvement you are going to see or others notice.

I partially agree, going from 25 watts to 250 watts is certainly cheaper than going from 250 watts to 2500 watts, but both jumps are 10 dB of gain. If output power was of no concern, commercial radio would operate on 50 watts, not 50,000 watts.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.