• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 feedback with turner mic

Oct 22, 2009
I have a uniden 980 radio that will feedback when my turner mic is hooked to it if gain is turned past 1/6th , as well as any power mic if turned up enough. It is as if talkback is always on very very slightly. Has anyone else noticed this or is this just the current batch as I don't recall my older of the units doing that and I have returned the 2nd one I purchased as defective for the issue and this one that came back does the same.

Suggestions?

Not sure but i heard one on the air for the first time a few days ago with a amp sounded terrible

It was probably the amplifier more than the radio's fault lol...I've gotten compliments on my audio. I'm thinking I am going to have to remove the talkback circuit...kinda tough to do without a schematic as smt stuff is just cramped in there.

Some radio's just don't like certain mic's, if your getting good on air reports then the problem is not the radio so you can stop returning them. Power mics and talk back are almost always a bad combo.

Some radio's just don't like certain mic's, if your getting good on air reports then the problem is not the radio so you can stop returning them. Power mics and talk back are almost always a bad combo.

Well the thing is it only does it on the later 980ssb's.....The talk back is off but you can still hear audio through the speaker faintly which is what causes issues. This is a design flaw to me.

I doubt Uniden changed anything in a new radio, not cost effective. If it works with the stock mic then there is no design flaw. If your mic was soldered up sloppy or exceeds 100% modulation they will tell you that's operator error. That's all I'm saying, if the radio passed all FCC tests before production then there is no design flaw. All your doing is creating more refurb radio's for sale on their web site. Maybe you have a crappy desk mic, maybe the mic just does not play well with that radio. That's the way it goes sometimes.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.