• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980, kl203, 2018 mic question

Dec 29, 2012
Sorry if this has been asked before but this is one place i can count on a straight answer from someone. I have a uniden 980ssb radio w/ a rf xtreme 2018 mic. I purchased a kl203 amp. Can i still use the 2018 mic? Have the radio dead key set at 1 and swings to 10. Didnt know if if mattered about using a power mic w/ the amp. Thanks in advance for response

Yes thats why i got that particular mic. Everybody i talk to says the radio sounds good w/ that setup. I got the kl203 amp to try and make contacts cause nobody close to me talks on ssb. Wanted to make sure it was ok to use the amp w/ that setup.

Two things. I don't want to insult your so forgive me if you already know this, but first make sure you don't have too much gain, especially on SSB. It will cause you to sound horrible. Even with a non amplified mic, I back off the mic gain to 1/4 and no more than 1/2 while on SSB. Even if you are cranking out 500W, if you aren't putting out a clean signal people aren't going to answer.

Those RM Italy amps sound good on AM and SSB, and can last as long as you don't over-drive them. They are sensitive. Ultra sensitive. Set your dead key low and make sure your peak power isn't above the max input for the amp. With those two things in mind, you should be ok.

Reactions: 2 people
Hello, i'm late on this post here but what the heck. Good advise so far. As stated you will have to find the sweet spot on the mic gain and power level on the 2018. You might end up at 1/2 on the radio and say 1/4 on the 2018.

With the KL203 I would add a small 24 volt computer fan. By running the fan at 12v it will be nice and quiet and keep things cool. Keep the AM carrier at 1 to 1.5 max and the PEP at 18 or less and your good to go with the KL203.

In the end that will be a nice sounding set-up. Many will assume you are running much more. Take care.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes thats why i got that particular mic. Everybody i talk to says the radio sounds good w/ that setup. I got the kl203 amp to try and make contacts cause nobody close to me talks on ssb. Wanted to make sure it was ok to use the amp w/ that setup.

Hook it all up and see for yourself.

I get great audio reports with my superstar microphone. I have to set mic gain on radio to level 1.

I run a KL-203 with the radio @ 2 watt DK. Runs the amp nicely.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.