• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

Seems to work well for what it is but it doesn't put out much power with minor tweaks. In fact, in stock form it looks like most of these are putting out well below what they should be on SSB.

For what it is designed to do it does it very well, great stability on SSB and most people are going to use an amp anyway so the output is just right. Stock out of the box it really was down on power and modulation but after a little bit of a tune it came to life and did work well. Any new radio coming into the CB market has to be FCC approved to be sold so Uniden did what it had to do to get this one to market and did a great job

More power can always be added externally very easily. Many amps only require 1-4W key and no more than 20W for swing. So in that sense, the Uniden would be great to pair with a Texas Star. Good solid performance isn't so easy to come by as is wattage. I paid $400 for a 150W radio. A 980 ($150) + TS DX350 ($240)= an easy 250W-300W with no drift for $390 vs. 150W export for the same $400. Not that bad of a deal if you don't freeband. And if echo is your thing, that is a matter of another $40 parts and labor. Obiously if you are a freebander, that might not be the radio of choice. But my inquiry of the 980 was from a type accepted 40 channel standpoint. The export market is taking over and there just ain't much left for standard 11M radios. Not much effort seems to be going into the true CBs. Good to see Uniden hanging in there and still putting out good products.

That is a good point. I'm sure the exports are hurting legit CB sales.

The beep definitely hurts this thing. It's not so bad at first, but after a while it gets to you. I also don't like that you can't turn the backlighting all the way off.

I got to thinking about that. If I didn't want to buy a used Grant or Uniden made Cobra 148, 146, etc. what would I buy. Then I couldn't think of any "rock solid" SSB performers except the 980. God love Uniden.

Maybe an AR-3300/3500? - I've recently picked up two of the 3300s and am quite pleased at the SSB & AM audio & performance.

I'm not currently looking for another radio for myself. I am very happy with my DTB tuned Galaxy 95t2 and my DTB tuned Uniden Grant XL w/variable power (for someday down the road when I add that extra umph):laugh:. I've been trying to talk my buddy into an SSB rig but he isnt quite ready to bite. He wants to upgrade his Cobra 19 DXIII to a radio with weather alert and still have matching amber lighting with his Titan.

This is a question for a true 11M radio of quality build. But a quality non export being the key to my question. I think this is it. I'd like to try one out and see for myself. I also think its the only SSB mobile that I've seen with weather alert.

I've read some negitive about how the weather stuff works, I live 35 miles from New York City and 65 miles from Philadelphia and can hear both weather stations from either of the cities and Mount Holly NJ also, so for me the weather feature worked great

I've read some negitive about how the weather stuff works, I live 35 miles from New York City and 65 miles from Philadelphia and can hear both weather stations from either of the cities and Mount Holly NJ also, so for me the weather feature worked great

Did they do a radio to radio comparison or just hook it up and decide it sucked? I don't always take negative comments at face value. Many times a product does suck. And many times it isn't the product at all.
My first WX CB I wasn't happy with it's performance at first. Turned out it was just the antenna I was using. I have some variance from weather conditions too, but I now have several radios with weather alert and I will say that what antenna you are using makes a huge difference. I can go up to my stepfather's lodge and slap a K30 on my roof and I have not ever heard a thing. I unhook it and hook up the Wilson 1000 and instantly hear it very clear. I also have a set of fiberglass whips that work better than the K30 for receiving WX. With them, some days I hear WX up there and some days not. They aren't nearly as good as the Wilson. I've never not gotten good WX reception up there with the Wilson hooked up.

Cobra needs to wake up and either redo the 148 GTL (im sure they know about the issues) or come out with a NEW model with SSB.

Reactions: 1 person
Did they do a radio to radio comparison or just hook it up and decide it sucked? I don't always take negative comments at face value. Many times a product does suck. And many times it isn't the product at all.
My first WX CB I wasn't happy with it's performance at first. Turned out it was just the antenna I was using. I have some variance from weather conditions too, but I now have several radios with weather alert and I will say that what antenna you are using makes a huge difference. I can go up to my stepfather's lodge and slap a K30 on my roof and I have not ever heard a thing. I unhook it and hook up the Wilson 1000 and instantly hear it very clear. I also have a set of fiberglass whips that work better than the K30 for receiving WX. With them, some days I hear WX up there and some days not. They aren't nearly as good as the Wilson. I've never not gotten good WX reception up there with the Wilson hooked up.

You have to keep in mind that WX frequencies are in the range of 162 mhz. CB antennas are not optimized for the WX band. Probably lucky to hear weather broadcasts at all without a seperate antenna. So this is no way to judge a radio.

Reactions: 1 person
You have to keep in mind that WX frequencies are in the range of 162 mhz. CB antennas are not optimized for the WX band. Probably lucky to hear weather broadcasts at all without a seperate antenna. So this is no way to judge a radio.

That is what I'm saying. The people who wrote negative reviews may not have had an antenna that was made with WX compatability. So negative reviews often need to taken with a grain of salt. The Wilson 1000 and 5000 happens to be NOAA ready. Many of the flexible fiberglass antennas (like mine) are NOAA ready as well.

That is what I'm saying. The people who wrote negative reviews may not have had an antenna that was made with WX compatability. So negative reviews often need to taken with a grain of salt. The Wilson 1000 and 5000 happens to be NOAA ready. Many of the flexible fiberglass antennas (like mine) are NOAA ready as well.

Do you know technically how they are "NOAA ready". I'm just curious how that works if they claim it's so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.