• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980 SSB

If I get the KL-203 amp and install on the 980 do I just turn down the dead key down to 1 or below? Is that all it takes or is there more to it? And will it make a big difference the am performance? Input power:0.5-10w am/fm. 2-20w ssb/cw
Output power: 100wmax on am/fm. 200wmax on ssb/cw
Will this damage my 980 in any way? Thanks for any help with this.

Thanks alot...I actually did mean the KL-203.now to figure out which way to turn the dead key...counter clockwise or clockwise.

Hook everything up and run it through a meter. Set the SWR/hook up dummy load and then turn on the amp. Adjust the pots until you get good output from the amp. I set mine low on AM, 20w dk-mid 80s pep depending on which end of 11m it is.

How do ya get the output power to 10+ watts on the 980? I have 2 of them and the most I can get out of either of them is around 3-5 watts on AM. Good detailed information would be great!! Please help

That stinks lol. I've heard of some people getting them to modulate up to 10 watts from a 3 watt dead key. I love the features and looks of the radio but neither of mine seem to perform very well. That's the reason I'm wanting to try and get the power up a little.

If I get the KL-203 amp and install on the 980 do I just turn down the dead key down to 1 or below? Is that all it takes or is there more to it? And will it make a big difference the am performance? Input power:0.5-10w am/fm. 2-20w ssb/cw
Output power: 100wmax on am/fm. 200wmax on ssb/cw
Will this damage my 980 in any way? Thanks for any help with this.

If you turn the AM power down too low it will give you a rf fail report. Antenna fail report and swr meter won't function correctly. I turned my 980 down to 1 watt and it failed all the test. Turned it back up to around 2 watts and it passed all test. so if you turn it down to 1 watt and everything fails don't panic just turn it back up a little bit.

They are a good radio to drive a small amp, but to use in the mobile on SSB they are under powered, not much skip talking without a little help. On the other side, though, it's receive is great and audio is crystal clear according to my locals. I ran one as a base for a few weeks and liked it a lot

Attachments

• uniden 980 3-25-14.jpg
    uniden 980 3-25-14.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: 1 person
I know where the 3 pots are for SSB, modulation and AM power. I've tuned them all but I can only get the radio to put out MAYBE 5 watts AM and about 8-9 on SSB. Love the looks and features it has but their WAY under powered.

They are a good radio to drive a small amp, but to use in the mobile on SSB they are under powered, not much skip talking without a little help. On the other side, though, it's receive is great and audio is crystal clear according to my locals. I ran one as a base for a few weeks and liked it a lot

My goodness, I can talk all over the world with the 980 with just a bump to the 203 alc pot. Even mobile with the Sirio Turbo 5000. Deadkey I left alone at 4 watts. Swings to 10 on AM and swingin' to over 20 on ssb with the Moxon at 30 feet. For a $116.00 radio it's hard to beat. Spot on frequency out of the box and like you said, great audio.;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned