• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden 980ssb Thoughts

I am thrilled to hear that the BEEP is gone.
It looks like a very simple mod.
One of my fears was that the beep mod was going to be more trouble than it was worth.
With that being said I may consider making the 980 my next purchase.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a modest amp (@100W) to match up with 980?

One of my fears was that the beep mod was going to be more trouble than it was worth.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a modest amp (@100W) to match up with 980?

I have recently been playing on a Uniden Grant XL/EC2018 mic with a RM Italy 203P. Tiny amp, and it puts out a little over 100 watts with a low drive. RM claims it is AB biased, and I am getting very good reports with this combo. The amp is cheap, and can be found for 50 bucks. You might want to slap a fan on it if you yap a lot like I do. :) Should match up just as well to the new 980.

RT307

Reactions: 1 person
Well, after viewing the Beeb mod on this site I decided as well to further my curiosity as well!!! I carefully watched the You Tube video and pinpointed the exact location within my 980 and took it upon myself to remove the same component and I too was successfully in eliminating that aweful BEEP...very happy with the outcome! Thanks for the youtube upload and individual who was able to locate/solve the Beeb.

I run a kl-203 behind my 980. Works great, reports come back good from all over the us on side band.

I run a kl-203 behind my 980. Works great, reports come back good from all over the us on side band.

Same setup through a 102". I've gotten the into Northern Canada and as far east as the UK. Although the guy from the UK said I was off freq. a little bit. Out of maybe a dozen DX contacts, he's the only bad report back.

Same setup through a 102". I've gotten the into Northern Canada and as far east as the UK. Although the guy from the UK said I was off freq. a little bit. Out of maybe a dozen DX contacts, he's the only bad report back.

It's never their radio that's off frequency a little bit is it?

Reactions: 1 person
finally got to use the 980ssb, wilson 1000, in my chevy equinox yesterday conditions were not great but still had no problems getting out to british columbia canada, california and florida. 37,38,39Lsb, the radio got good reports with everyone i talked with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.