• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Grant XL

steved

Feb 4, 2008
I have a Uniden Grant XL, I was told it was pretty much untouched. I'm sure it has a multiple-turn pot in the clarifier...

Is there a place I can look at the scematics and potential mods that might have been done to this radio...I plan on taking it to DTB to have it aligned, just wanted to see what else it might need un-done...

This is the first time I've had it open...

IMG_2208.jpg

Found this...

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_2210.jpg

IMG_2212.jpg

IMG_2213.jpg

And the multi-turn pot...

IMG_2214.jpg

Upon closer inspection, a jumper has replaced R174 and the connector with three wires near R174 has had three of the wires clipped and there is no corresponding ends...

IMG_2213a.jpg

Just off the top of my head, I think the R174 thing might be related to an open clarifier. I think R44 is part of the mod along with a diode.

Does the green wire I see on the solder side go to the clarifier? Should have 8V.

This is one that I consider to be a good mod.

You might have a ten turn clarifier, due to it covering over 10KC.

I'd keep it, but that's up to you.

Look for R131 and check to see if it is still there.

It looks like no body added channels, there would be wires coming from the PLL.

Here, I took this from the Defpom page.

[SIZE=+4]Cobra Mods[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]This page describes modifications for the Cobra 148 GTL (PC-412)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The PCB in this radio is almost identical to the Grant (PC-409) and the Madison (PC-411) and it can be used for comparisons[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]This set is much the same as the Grant/Madison/Washington, as it uses the MB8719 PLL so adding another 40 channels is easy ![/SIZE]

Frequency conversion by reprogramming the PLL pins

Pull pin 10 of the PLL low to go up 64 channels and start another band.
All you have to do is use one of the switches (the tone switch is best) and re-wire it so that it controls pin 10 of the PLL, one side of the tone switch currently goes to earth (should be the common pin), the other side goes to C77 which is shunted across the audio path to cut off the high frequencies to reduce the tone, all you need to do is cut the wire that goes to C77 and run from the switch to pin 10 instead, when the switch is in the low tone position it will connect pin 10 with earth, which will make the radio go up be 640kHz (64 channels).
Re tune if needed
Frequency conversions by crystal changes

This mod came from a forum I am a moderator on:
(You need to change the crystal at location X3)

" 11.6908MHz gives 28.060MHz to 28.500Mhz (Ham 10 Meter) operation in Cobra/Uniden CB's that originally had 11.3258MHz in them "
You really just need 28.300 to 28.500 for voice, the lower part of the band is CW.
You can use a 11.4758MHz to get the high band, or a 11.1758MHz to get the low band instead if that is what you need.
You can get new crystals from Kens Electronics:
CB & Amateur Ham Radio crystal frequency list at Ken's Electronics, (Wholesale & Retail Electronic Parts) Kalamazoo, Michigan

Modulation Boosts

1. DONT Remove TR24!

There are two methods to improve the AMC, you can change R130 (a 1.5KOhm for a 500 Ohm, it may be in a diode location close to TR26)

Or you can add a 1K resistor in series on the the middle leg of TR24, to do this just cut the track for the leg and put the resistor across the cut.
2. Change R126 (10k) to a 4.7K
3. Change R124 (10k) to a 4.7K
4. Re-tune L37 and L38 for maximum AM forward power.
Unlocking the clarifier

This mod came from a forum I am a moderator on:

This is what I have:
1 Cut R44
2 Cut D52
3 Solder a jumper wire across R 174 (or remove it and put a jumper in its place)
4 Remove red wire that comes from the Fine tune pot from the board and hook it to the + side of C84
5 Change R175 to a 1KOhm

Jeff
Dual Clarifier Mod

This is the dual clarifier mod, I do not know who originaly wrote this, as it was posted on my forum.
cobra148-2000dualclarifier.jpg

If it has an NPCRC mod, look for the wires that will be originally at TP(test point) 1 and 2.

If they are going else where, it might have the NPC mod.

I can't be sure, I forget some of it.

IMG_2212.jpg
IMG_2212.jpg

No NPC.

See the purple wire along with the yellow brown and white in front of the large electrolytic radial cap?

That is typically used in the NPC mod.

I think.:unsure:

There is quite a bit that can be done to that radio, but it is an excellent radio all by itself. The grant xl, grant lt, and cobra 148gtl are all the same radio. It's probably my favorite CB. I'm sure DTB knows how to do it right. If you can figure out what all was done already that will be helpful to whoever looks at it. If I can be of any help with the alignment or other mods, let me know. I have a Grant LT (same thing) and I love that radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio