• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden PC122XL no transmit

Seawolf18

May 23, 2005
I have a PC122XL. Then problem I am having is, no transmit on AM or SSB. The radio recieves just fine. What should I check on it? I bought it for next to nothing, to see if I could get it fixed. There is also a small hole drilled in the case, in the front right corner. This makes me believe the radio was once modified.

Here are some ideas and questions to help out....

In front of the finals there should be a shorting board, as long as it is in place then there should be voltage going to the finals. This is there to make the bias adjustment.
Keying up the radio near a second CB or receiver you should be able to detect some sort of signal. This would be so if the radio is transmitting but the final and/or driver is faulty, although the signal will be small and weak.
Do you have at least a volt meter handy and a jumper wire? The voltage should be 13.8 nominal at the PC jumper when it is place. Be careful not to short out the voltage to anything else.
Bypassing the final with the jumper wire you can energize the driver and then you can key up the radio but it will only be a weak signal out if the final is bad.
It is possible that the mic may be not switching the radio to transmit when you key the mic. Easiest way to check this is with a matching known good mic. Also check the PA function as this might indicate if the mic is doing it's thing.
You can manually key up the radio by jumping the mic connector on the radio to see if it keys the 122 up.
After all these simple tests you will narrow down the fault a bit more and you can begin to suspect the driver and/or final to be the fault. :headbang

Good luck on this..... mechanic

radio parts side up , lid off , front of face upside down facing you . the back side right hand side tightly in the corner is a regulator on back of chassie , change it. 2.00 part (if that) if all else fails or before you do anything else.

how many legs on this regulator beast and any chance of a pic please..ive googled 122xl parts LAYOUT to no avail.

Please help as my radio has the same fault n ill start with your recomendation.

Cheers Rod mine is the 122XL

yes i found these pages whilst googling but i thought it was only mods not general info so i bypassed them.

after your recomendation ill return and read them through.
MUCHLY TY for your generousity. Cheers Rod

there is a lot of repair info in all the reading . like I mentioned you can click on the links at the top for more info. I used that info to repair one I talk on now.

also these radios are prone to have bad solder joints also. I just received one I have not finished and hit all the joints that looked bad and got receive and transmit on the one I am working on.all it did was light up ther front when I 1st got it. on the bottom of the radio is a small metal shied which you can hit the solder joints in that area and may start coming back to life. that was the location I found most of them bad on mine.

Once working correctly you will have a great little radio there sir. Thanks for the links as well Sonoma. They may come in handy one day. I love my pc122xl. Great little ssb radio. God bless and again thanks for all the info.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio