• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Uniden Washington and Tug 9

skybolt58

Nov 9, 2008
Tug Hill NY
Hi, All Happy New year!

I am haveing a problem with thes tug 9 I have , I can't turn it up on my uniden washington without squeeling! I did all the 470 ohm 4.7 kOhm Lpad, I also did the 10 kOHM with the .001 MFD and still squeels, And when I put my silver eagle on it, it is a audio monster , and turned all the way up, NO SQUEEL? but I need the silver eagle wired to my 2950. anyone ever have this squeel problem with a Tug 9 and uniden washington 5 pin before and were able to fix the problem , pleas let me know how?

Install a small jumper between pins 2 and 4 on either the mic plug, or the jack inside of the radio. Sounds like there's a ground loop fault occuring, and it's causing a squeal. On the Uniden Washingtons, the radio has 2 seperate grounds, a PC board ground, and a mic audio ground. Installing a jumper at pins 2 and 4 ties these grounds together. Give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Also, check on the PC board to see if TR24 has been removed. This is the modulation limiter transistor, and removing the transistor can also cause squealing with certain mics.

~Cheers~

Alrighty... do you have talkback installed in the radio? If so, that resistor that's used for the talkback will need to be swapped to a higher value. If there's no talk back, no worries about that then! LOL

Make sure that mic has a fresh battery in it, and double check for TR24 on the main board. Oh, also, does it squeal only in AM? Or does it do this in SSB also?

~Cheers~

all there

Yes 24 is there, it works great with a silver eagle, just not with the tug 9, I have had both wide open mic gains, with the silver eagle, and just extreemly loud every one says, guess the washington just do not likethe tug 9?

Alrighty then!

Sorry to have to make you probe around the main board, but I'm wanting to eliminate possible problems associated with parts being removed, so please be patient with me is all. LOL

Check to make sure R104 and R186 have not been clipped. These 2 resistors will be in the same general area as TR24. R104 is a 10k ohm resistor, R186 is 1k ohm. Make sure both of these are in place. :)

~Cheers~

I just bought a Cobra 2000 with a silver eagle and it has an external wire from the mic base to the jack at the radio. Guy said it had a squeal and that helped. I'm gonna get a 6 wire next time I get to a cb shop.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.