• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Unscientific antenna "tests"

Highlander_821

Amour d'Ecosse
Apr 2, 2005
Central IL
What is the point of trying to compare omnidirectional CB antennas using testing that has too many variables to be meaningful? Different mounts, heights, feedlines, times of day, conditions (yes, groundwave conditions vary a great deal on 10 and 11 meters) .

RX stations with a possible agenda or incompetence, insistence on using SSB (dumb) instead of a constant carrier mode. How do you know if you take one down and put another up, a big panel truck didn't just park in front of your RX station's house, affecting the incoming signal as much as any potential difference between antennas? How do you know that there wasn't another transmitter on the air near your RX station's house, de-sensing his RX for one of your antennas, but not by the time you got the other one on the air?

Nothing wrong with playing around, as long as you know that that's ALL you are doing with such stuff. Coming here on the forum and stating as fact that one antenna has more gain than another based on this kind of flawed, uncontrolled, invalid testing means is VERY misleading and invalid.

It's safe to say that all antennas of similar design will perform alike, however, the durability and quality of the builds may vary widely with each.

All of my antenna tests are Highly Unscientific. If I ever do post any kind of antenna test here it will have that disclaimer attached. :D

Various antennas and their respective performance have been beat to death here, I was thinking of starting my own thread about which mobile antenna I think is "The Purtiest"

Good laugh there 151. I vote for a 102 inch whip as it say the story of "Yes this looks ridiculous on the roof of my Ford explorer and I do hit every branch But I spent less than you did on that K-40 and I can talk right over you!":love: As for antenna reviews why do people seem to come here to bash each other? Take it with a grain of salt as you read it or the way I look at it is this is what this person tried and the outcome of it. I know a few on here that do extensive antenna tests and I have read many of the findings. I like knowing that antenna A has a weak rating in high winds or That antenna B is known to talk skip easier than another. Do I believe everything I read....NO! But I try very hard not to call someone a liar. :whistle:

What is the point of trying to compare omnidirectional CB antennas using testing that has too many variables to be meaningful? Different mounts, heights, feedlines, times of day, conditions (yes, groundwave conditions vary a great deal on 10 and 11 meters) .

RX stations with a possible agenda or incompetence, insistence on using SSB (dumb) instead of a constant carrier mode. How do you know if you take one down and put another up, a big panel truck didn't just park in front of your RX station's house, affecting the incoming signal as much as any potential difference between antennas? How do you know that there wasn't another transmitter on the air near your RX station's house, de-sensing his RX for one of your antennas, but not by the time you got the other one on the air?

Nothing wrong with playing around, as long as you know that that's ALL you are doing with such stuff. Coming here on the forum and stating as fact that one antenna has more gain than another based on this kind of flawed, uncontrolled, invalid testing means is VERY misleading and invalid.

Hey 821, check out this link regarding what ground waves do or don't do in 11 meters. It might change your mind a little about this issue. Maybe you used the wrong term.

Ground Wave Radio Propagation :: Radio-Electronics.Com

Good laugh there 151. I vote for a 102 inch whip as it say the story of "Yes this looks ridiculous on the roof of my Ford explorer and I do hit every branch But I spent less than you did on that K-40 and I can talk right over you!":love: As for antenna reviews why do people seem to come here to bash each other? Take it with a grain of salt as you read it or the way I look at it is this is what this person tried and the outcome of it. I know a few on here that do extensive antenna tests and I have read many of the findings. I like knowing that antenna A has a weak rating in high winds or That antenna B is known to talk skip easier than another. Do I believe everything I read....NO! But I try very hard not to call someone a liar. :whistle:

I don't really think there has been any real bashing about antennas. Maybe what I would call "Heated Arguments" and a few not so good natured jabs here and there. :D

OK OK OK I am once again in awwww of all the self proclaimed, debated, and absolutely over whelming info that comes thru here????

SO THAT BEING SAID heres my particular situation... I live in Middle Tennessee on OLD HICKORY lake.

I have an IMAX 2000 that SUCKS !!! Theres just to much ground noise static in this antenna. The antenna is on a 20' pipe on my chimney.. My Chimney is 22' so in all actualities my antenna is 42' to the base.

There arent to many hills that are above me here but there are a few high and low spots.

I do believe sometimes my mobile hears and is quieter that my base when its sittn in the yard.

I really believe I had better luck with an ANTRON 99 matter of fact I talked more skip with an antron than I have an IMAX????

I want an antenna that is quiet, RX as good as possible....!

I am literally sick of people around here telling me that the reason I cant hear the stations 75+ miles away arent there anymore cause people have quit talking !! THATS BULL CRAP cause when I'm on the road I hear people and talk to people...!!!

SO WHATS MY OPTIONS for the best anteen in this situation??

we have ice in winter, we have heavy winds in the spring.

WHAT THE BEST ANTENNA for my situation???? I wanna hear and hear good !! :bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::w00t::eek::w00t::eek::eek::w00t:

Last edited:
i think you,ll find most 5/8 wave anttenas perform about the same.
with that said you can try a maco 5/8 ,sirio 827 ,sirio2016
if ya really feel u did better with the a-99 ever consider going
back to it?i know the imax is noisy i sold mine for 50 bucks
to just get rid of it

I was looking through my H&Y magazine and found the #M-400 with a note that read " send back for a full refund within 7 days if it doesn't out perform the Antron A-99!" There price is $78.95. Is this really that great of an antenna? would a 1/4 wave GP really out perform a 1/2 wave end fed? I helped a friend install his knock off m-400 and although it performs well. I thought a A-99 would do better? :confused:

OK OK OK I am once again in awwww of all the self proclaimed, debated, and absolutely over whelming info that comes thru here????

SO THAT BEING SAID heres my particular situation... I live in Middle Tennessee on OLD HICKORY lake.

I have an IMAX 2000 that SUCKS !!! Theres just to much ground noise static in this antenna. The antenna is on a 20' pipe on my chimney.. My Chimney is 22' so in all actualities my antenna is 42' to the base.

There arent to many hills that are above me here but there are a few high and low spots.

I do believe sometimes my mobile hears and is quieter that my base when its sittn in the yard.

I really believe I had better luck with an ANTRON 99 matter of fact I talked more skip with an antron than I have an IMAX????

I want an antenna that is quiet, RX as good as possible....!

I am literally sick of people around here telling me that the reason I cant hear the stations 75+ miles away arent there anymore cause people have quit talking !! THATS BULL CRAP cause when I'm on the road I hear people and talk to people...!!!

SO WHATS MY OPTIONS for the best anteen in this situation??

we have ice in winter, we have heavy winds in the spring.

WHAT THE BEST ANTENNA for my situation???? I wanna hear and hear good !! :bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::bdh::w00t::eek::w00t::eek::eek::w00t:

SIRIO GAIN MASTER WILL OUTPERFORM ALL OTHERS

Now you have the answer you were fishing for, what you do with it is up to you. :eek:

Last edited:

but when you live with it for weeks or months you get used to how stations come in and when you change to a different antenna and everyone is stronger or weaker then you have a good idea of what is real even on sideband and the gain master is the best there is so far for 500 watts or less

No I was fishing and you just got caught.......:oops: Hang on lil fellar i'm gonna throw u back.

I'd like to CONQUER a good ground plane 1st.

ya might want to "CONQUER" some basic math skills,

i'm done with you and your hillbilly attitude. are you from appalachia?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.