• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

USS Yorktown

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
I just made contact with the USS Yorktown Battleship WA4USN on 20 meters. Right now they are on 14.263 . I now have made contact with a ship, a sub and a plane :D

Highlander, it is docked-

270px-Ussyorktown2006.jpg

USS Yorktown docked at Charleston harbor, July 2006

I also spoke with a guy on 11 meters in a private plane going over Pennsylvania. He called himself "Eye in the sky". That was neat.

Karo, It is a US Navy Aircraft carrier.

I think there were several cool factors in making the ship contacts. First , that you made such a special contact that is a object of history. The other is the feeling when the contact is made. You have an enormous amount of people, a lot with a great deal of power, that are all calling 1 callsign. And to hear the operator pick your little 100 watt station from a groundplane or wire antenna come back with your callsign. And finally to be able to receive a QSL for the effort of the special contact made through the dogpile:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.