• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vanity Call Signs

Diocia

Mar 4, 2010
So I just got my tech license and I'm looking at getting a vanity call sign. I was wondering about the number in the call sign. I am in region 4, but am I allowed to get a vanity call sign with a different number? I was looking at geting my initials as in W4###, but it is taken. But W2### is available.

Is this allowed? Is it frowned upon by the ham community? Thanks for any advice!

I think you can get any number... never have looked into it as I was fortunate enough to have been issued a very nice callsign as a novice that I carried with me even to Extra Class. KB9IOU

As for being frowned upon, I highly doubt it. I've heard and spoken with people that have different numbers all over the united states. We have several 4's living here in Southern Illinois and last week I spoke with a 5 station in New York.

You can get any number that is allocated to the U.S.

That is true. As for being frowned on by the ham community, maybe not so much US amateurs but a lot foreign operators hate it when they work a station and find out he is no where near where you would think he was. I worked a W6 on 80m AM with just 15 watts of carrier and thought I had hit the jackpot until he told me he was in New Hampshire. :censored::headbang

... W4###, but it is taken. But W2### is available.

Is this allowed? Is it frowned upon by the ham community?..

"frowned upon"???
i guess that may depend upon who you talk to.
i just did a callsign search (by zipcode) and there are 68 hams in my (florida) zipcode.
of that 68, only 22 have 4 calls:blink:.

go to the arrl home page
leave the "call sign search" box blank, just click on the "GO" button
in the next screen leave everthing EXCEPT the zipcode blank and then click "submit query"

Vanity Call

Hello ,
You may apply for any # call district but only a 2x3 or 1x3 call
since Techs can only apply for those formats

Paul K8PG- NO VANITY CALL HERE-

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.