• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Vintage A.s. Super Magnum Or Sirio Tornado?

Silverado

Aug 3, 2014
Good day, I am digging out my vintage radio gear from the 70's and setting up my radio room again. Radio 1 is a SBE Console V and the back up is a LAFAYETTE Telsat 1240. Obviously, differences between the two. The Super Mag has been disassembled for about 25 years and stored outside (coil bracket and so239 are rusty). I'm seeking any ideas about whether to mess with cleaning up the Super Mag or get the Sirio. Thanks for looking and any thoughts.

I'd keep the Super Mag....Double O/O steel wool or Scotchbrite (I keep both around)....start cleaning.
I would get new hose clamps(for driven element) and mounting clamps for pole bracket
All the Best
Gary
Thanks for confirming my gut feeling, as I have already started polishing it up. One question still lingers though. I am planning to take the exam and eventually go 10 meter. Hard to find specs on this ant. as to will it work on 10 m. Had great DX'ing on 11 m. back in the day on a barefoot Lafayette tube type crystal radio.

Glad to hear your making the next step in radio, don't wait any longer.
The Super Mag will be a good antenna for 10m, you'll just have to shorten it maybe 5 or 6 inches +/- some...
Get yourself a study guide and get started, you could be ready in a couple weeks
GL
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: hotrod and binrat

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio