• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VV808

I don't like fooling with old stuff.
Same here.

Sure, you can find old commercial radios on Ebay for $20 each but they are usually old there's not much info available about them online. You also have to factor in the cost of programming cables. Motorola cables are cheap and easy to find, but cables for Maxons or other radios aren't as easy to come buy and can cost as much as $40. Some of them require a standalone programming unit or a new EPROM in order to be reprogrammed. The hassle and cost starts really adding up over time.

Same here.

Sure, you can find old commercial radios on Ebay for $20 each but they are usually old there's not much info available about them online. You also have to factor in the cost of programming cables. Motorola cables are cheap and easy to find, but cables for Maxons or other radios aren't as easy to come buy and can cost as much as $40. Some of them require a standalone programming unit or a new EPROM in order to be reprogrammed. The hassle and cost starts really adding up over time.

You forgot to mention some need a RIB

Sent from my SCH-i605 on Verizon 4G LTE.

I got the software today. I don't see any mention of scrambling being selectable. No big deal, but if it's described as having, then should be able to use. It could be selectable via the keypad or front controls.

The driver didn't seem like it installed correctly. The vendor didn't know if its Windows 7 compatible.

Tracking shows delivery by the 30th.

Played with this thing for 4-5 hours today.

It is very easy to program manually and is very intuitive, even without an English manual. Each of the 4 front buttons are programmable with short and long press options. You can also assign two menu functions to each button. The main knob is multi function as well.

The internal speaker is very loud, with surprisingly good tonal quality. Transmit audio is very LOUD, punchy and received great reports. I was surprised that the DTMF mic sounded so good, as cheap as it is. It does look well made and has a good feel. The display is a nice size and is very visible.

I made a little 70 cm ground plane. Either my measurements were spot on or the PA section is bullet proof (I have no metering for UHF). I talked to my dad with a long winded QSO and didn't notice much generated heat. The unit is mostly one big heat sink. The overall build quality seems pretty good. All controls and dials are tight and smooth.

Software and driver installation was smooth. Everything is straight forward and very customizable. I still don't see anywhere in the menu that allows for scrambling.

So far, this little rig is pretty cool and should fit my intended use perfectly. I find it to be worth the money I paid. I intend to order the VHF version as well.

The only negative so far?????

The lighted microphone keypad remains lit, even after the radios power button is turned off. Strange!

I'll have to research this issue, but is not a deal breaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Played with this thing for 4-5 hours today....

....So far, this little rig is pretty cool and should fit my intended use perfectly. I find it to be worth the money I paid. I intend to order the VHF version as well.

Thanks for rolling the dice and for sharing this great info!

Thanks for the info!

I guess I'll be ordering one soon. Is the radio as small as it appears in the pictures?

Found it.

The radio does have a scramble feature. It is in the menu.

I know it would upset Holder, so no lectures needed.

The speaker audio would definitely allow for mobile use. It is LOUD! I haven't had it in the mobile yet. I wonder if the front end can handle it. Eventually, I'm going to see how it plays in my Neon.

Just using it in the shop, for now.

Found it.

The radio does have a scramble feature. It is in the menu.

I know it would upset Holder, so no lectures needed.

The speaker audio would definitely allow for mobile use. It is LOUD! I haven't had it in the mobile yet. I wonder if the front end can handle it. Eventually, I'm going to see how it plays in my Neon.

Just using it in the shop, for now.

Please record a video or audio file of this so called "scramble" feature.

Sent from my SCH-i605 on Verizon 4G LTE.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.