• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR APRS issue after extended TX mod

depark

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Feb 17, 2010
Kelowna, BC
I probably already know the answer to this question but here it goes. I performed the Extended TX mod to my VX-8DR a few weeks ago. I thought everything was ok with the radio. At the time of the mod I had not checked the APRS functions. The radio TX and RX on all bands works fine. My issue is that the radio will not send or receive APRS beacons any more. I have reset the radio with no luck. Could the removal of the resistor be the problem? It was removed very carefully. At the same time I installed the bluetooth (BU-1) module. It has a small issue that it doesn't turn off the mic on the radio and I get a echo when I press the PTT. Could the BU-1 be the issue? Any suggestions would be great before I send it in to the service department.

It has a small issue that it doesn't turn off the mic on the radio and I get a echo when I press the PTT.

The radio won't beacon if it believes that it is transmitting. I would take the bluetooth out first and see what happens. The quote above is the likely culprit.

Just to let people know I sent my radio in for warranty and found out that I am an idiot. The problem wasn't with the Bluetooth module. The issue with the APRS was that the modem will only work on the B band and like a moron I had it set on the A band:headbang. I'm sure that the tech that was looking at the radio was smiling and shaking his head.:confused:

my gps stopped working after mod and I also installed the bluetooth at the same time as mod....vertex said to send it in...have not done so yet , wondering if anyone else has had the same problem?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.