• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8DR - Loose battery?

JakiChan

May 5, 2010
While the latches on my stock battery are very stiff the battery itself wiggles when attached, from side to side. It's a little annoying. Did I do something wrong or does it just not fit 100%?

Mine moves very slightly, but not enough to be annoying. Perhaps your battery is just a little off-dimension from normal? If you can, get the high capacity battery for the radio. It makes a huge difference with usage time capabilities and is the best accessory for the radio, IMO. That will also give you the opportunity to compare the fit on the radio.

I plan to, but I'm trying to spread things out a little. I mean after all I did pay nearly $600 for the radio, mic, and GPS. :)

My VX3 is the same. In this case the battery and cover are separate items. I placed a small square (postage stamp size) of soft foam rubber between the battery and cover. This minimized the wiggle, but not entirely. Something similarly between the battery and frame of the radio might help as long as it stays away from the battery contacts and surrounding seal.

Mike

While the latches on my stock battery are very stiff the battery itself wiggles when attached, from side to side. It's a little annoying. Did I do something wrong or does it just not fit 100%?

I got the big battery and it fits MUCH better. It really annoys me - this one should have been the battery in there from the start.

Now that you have the two batteries side-by-side, does it appear that the original battery was somehow out of spec from the factory? If so, I would contact Yaesu for a replacement (or see if you can talk them into sending you another hi-cap for all your troubles ;) ) And yes, the hi-cap battery is much better than the original battery, but if it came standard, then Yaesu would have one less accessory to sell you. I generally always run with the hi-cap and only use the standard battery when the hi-cap is in the charger or carry it with me as a spare.

Loose battery causing power reset.

On my vx-8r, when holding it a certain way and pressing keypad the battery would move enough to cause radio to turn off and back on. This is with standard battery.

I took a guess that the center connector on battery, where there is no electrical contact on the radio, is used to enable power on the other two when it is pushed in.

I put a very small piece of electrical tape on the radio where that center connector is hoping it pushes it up into battery a little more. Since doing this, it has not turned off/on from the battery being slightly loose.

Next up, is to test what the center pin is for with a meter, but so far no more radio powering off/on on it's own.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.