• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R Anti-glare display question.

Wise87

Jan 6, 2010
You guessed it, another question from the newbie. I'm just making sure I didn't get a bum radio.

Today is my second day trying out my new VX-8R. One thing I noticed today was some type of shadow or anti-glare on the screen when the radio is off. Almost looks like smudges. I notice it comes out of all 4 corners of the LCD and I can make them move around as I angle the radio. I only seem to notice it in outdoor lighting. I tried taking a picture of it but it doesn’t capture it like the human eye. I tried looking at others videos and photos but didn't see this problem. I did a Marco shot and was able to capture it somewhat. In person it looks much darker Again, I'm just making sure.
Thanks
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_0848.jpg
    IMG_0848.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 164

Did you try adjusting settings 48-LCD CONTRAST and 49-LCD DIMMER? Those are the menus items that will affect the screen while the rig is on. If that doesn't fix it, you might have a defective radio. The pic you attached is with the radio off, which looks pretty normal to me. How does it look with the radio turned on?

display glare

Look at the display with polarized sunglasses if you have them. There is a higher degree of strain in each of the corners which is causing the differences you see. I have had two of these and both have similar displays.
Its probably fine.

That happens, or gets much worse, after the radio gets really hot. The screen deforms, and surfpaddler is right, looking at the radio after with polarized lenses really shows all of the stress areas.

Edit: I have polarized glasses and used the radio before plugging it into the high current charger and noticed about what your picture shows. After letting that charger charge the battery and power the radio (allowing it to get really hot) I can't wear my polarized glasses any more to look at the screen. : ( . But it still looks fine without polarized lenses. : )

Last edited:
It's the same on the 8DR. I notice the "smudges" when it's cold outside too while the unit is off. I think it's normal on all units.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.