• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

VX-8R general APRS questions...

KC8CAY

Aug 25, 2010
Hi all, just bought a VX-8R (not DR) and was having some wuestions that I hope you guys could help me find. Yes I read the manual, definately helpful.
1) Does APRS only send beacons when B Band is set to 144.390? When using b-band to monitor other frequencies I assume APRS is beaconing to those stations if set to auto.
2) On 144.390 since it is a busy frequency due to beacons, my vx-8 always beeps when it picks up other beacons transmitting. I tried turning the volume down and it still beeps. I am at work and can't have that going off every 3 seconds, any way to mute that 'beep' notification?

Thanks again for all the help. Just trying to learn this stuff so I can be more knowledgeable.

73's,
KC8CAY

Hi all, just bought a VX-8R (not DR) and was having some wuestions that I hope you guys could help me find. Yes I read the manual, definately helpful.
1) Does APRS only send beacons when B Band is set to 144.390? When using b-band to monitor other frequencies I assume APRS is beaconing to those stations if set to auto.
2) On 144.390 since it is a busy frequency due to beacons, my vx-8 always beeps when it picks up other beacons transmitting. I tried turning the volume down and it still beeps. I am at work and can't have that going off every 3 seconds, any way to mute that 'beep' notification?

Thanks again for all the help. Just trying to learn this stuff so I can be more knowledgeable.

73's,
KC8CAY
1) if the aprs beacon is on auto, it will transmit on any frequency the B band is set to
2)page 162-163 of the manual should help out, message notification, aprs beacon ringer and aprs msg ringer

I have the VX8-GR and have used it to transmit APRS packets to the ISS on 145.825, just had to set the digi path to ARISS

Thanks again! Any chance you would now how to change my Mic-E comments? Under the APRS menu I have custom 0-6 and cannot change them to what I want. I scoured the manual and cannot find it.

The "custom" Mic-E 0-6 settings are not customizable. Think of them like your own "code" word - you and the other station tracking you knows what Mic-E custom "3" means, but noone else does. I know it sounds goofy, but that's what it's for.

I saw the one on the VX-8. It was very informative as far as what the acknowledgements are and how they work. Only thing was the screen of the radio was hard to see. However, you did a great job narrating what you were doing so following along was a breeze.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.