• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanted 600w to 650w Amplifier Will Trade

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I am looking for a good 600w to 650w amplifier with ssb that is not a splatter box I have some stuff trade here is what I have to trade.

Cobra 2000 GTL frequency jumps around both meters are stuck and receive is kinda weak that is all I know that is wrong with it condition of the outside is a 6 to 6.5 out of 10 does not come with a external speaker or microphone

Palomar 450HD works fine

Turner +2 desk mic works fine

10amp Pyramid PS-15k power supply works fine

I am looking to do a trade I might sell everything as one big lot will not ship anything I am in Houston Tx. Hit me up Skype DJboutit or DJboutit@Inbox.com

I forgot to say the 2000 GTL has extra channel mod with 2 switches on the back variable power mod and clarifier unlocked

For a good clean 650 non splatter box amp you're going to have to bring more to the table. Right now you're in the neighborhood of a 2 pill with a 20 volt power supply or or a worn out old 4 pill at best. For a clean 650 you need at least a 6 pill with a good bias circuit...am 8 pill would be better.

Being clean also means not running everything to the max. Looking at the spec sheet for a 2879 the most watts with the lowest IMD is around 60 watts pep. If you are truly serious about this clean business you're looking at a 10 or 12 pill. If it's a base that isn't cost effective because you'll need a big power supply and I'd recommend a tube amp with a single 3-500z. If you talk AM I would recommend a custom build that will handle the stress of AM. You can't run a clean station with alot of swing so you'll need a stout amp that will throw a hefty carrier and not overheat. If it's a mobile you've got some charging system work to do.

This is the reason cheap radio operators run those old dirty amps. How clean do you want to be?

I only need 500 to 650 watts like a good 4 or 5 pill would work. 10 to 12 pill is overkill plus I do not even have a power supply to run it. That would cause a lot of interference no matter what type of filtering I have.

I only need 500 to 650 watts like a good 4 or 5 pill would work. 10 to 12 pill is overkill plus I do not even have a power supply to run it. That would cause a lot of interference no matter what type of filtering I have.

A 10 or 12 pill running at 600 watts would be less likely to cause interference than a 4 pill ran at 600 watts. The IMD levels will be much lower.

If you want clean at least run the 4 pill at 400 pep or use a 6 pill to get the power you want so you're within the rating of the transistors. The lowest IMD for the 4 pill would still be running it at 240 watts pep...60 watts per pill.

The best way to keep interference to a minimum is having the antenna as high as possible and as far away from the neighbors as possible. Use a common mode choke, run the coax straight down the tower and along the ground (or buried) to the shack. It starts with the radio. The best amp money can buy won't make up for clipped limiters, hotrod final upgrades, swing kits and that sort of thing.

A 10 or 12 pill running at 600 watts would be less likely to cause interference than a 4 pill ran at 600 watts. The IMD levels will be much lower.

If you want clean at least run the 4 pill at 400 pep or use a 6 pill to get the power you want so you're within the rating of the transistors. The lowest IMD for the 4 pill would still be running it at 240 watts pep...60 watts per pill.

The best way to keep interference to a minimum is having the antenna as high as possible and as far away from the neighbors as possible. Use a common mode choke, run the coax straight down the tower and along the ground (or buried) to the shack. It starts with the radio. The best amp money can buy won't make up for clipped limiters, hotrod final upgrades, swing kits and that sort of thing.

Your right on the money. Heck the Palomar he already has will run clean at 200 watts PEP. The term 500-600 watts and 4 pill amplifier really don't go together.

Reactions: jessejamesdallas
The black amplifiers that were branded palomar belong in the scrap bin. A 450hd with 4 1446s was my first amplifier. I couldn't figure out why my SWR went through the roof when I turned it on.

Later I bought an xforce with 4 2879s and didn't have this issue. Years later I learned parasitic oscillation was the cause and it makes an amplifier produce some nasty harmonics. Those class C comp (if built right) amps are better than a lot of the "ab biased" CB junk floating around. I've never impressed with a Tejas Star either.

Reactions: jessejamesdallas

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.