1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WANTED, YAESU FT-102.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Gear Swapshop' started by cbkidd1, Mar 4, 2017.

1. Captain Kilowatt

Captain Kilowatt
    Expand Collapse
    Professional Amateur
    Staff Member

The FT-102 does not have plate modulation. The three 6146's operate as a regular class AB amplifier. The modulation is done at a much lower level in the RF chain. While they do tend to sound good on AM it is mostly due to the filters. The receiver is also very good. I would grab one if a decent unit came my way at a reasonable non-inflated price.

Sonar likes this.

2. 2RT307

2RT307
    Expand Collapse

I actually had a QSO with Mal recently, and didn't know he was the "Malcomized" guy at the time. Kinda like my QSO with Bob Heil! lol Anyhow, he told me via follow-up email that he could pretty much tell any rig he had worked on, and if I came across a nice one on Ebay (or wherever) for sale, to send him pics and he could verify it was worked on by him. I thought that was pretty cool... I really like the old hybrid rigs, and have thought about picking up an FT-102 several times.

Brett

3. wavrider

wavrider
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

The 102 has a awesome receiver,
    transmit goes without saying, three 6146 for finals.

I enjoy using mine on occasions.
    I would compare the receive on the FT-102 to my TS-830
    Can not really tell any difference both are awesome.
    FT-102 has more power out as to be expected.

2RT307 likes this.
  4. cbkidd1

cbkidd1
    Expand Collapse

Eastside, The only ft-102 guru that i am aware of is Mal Eiselman NC4L, Unless i am missing someone?

wavrider likes this.
  5. cbkidd1

cbkidd1
    Expand Collapse

2RT307, I have one that has a silver strip around the tuning knob that MAL worked on. Not sure what that strip represents?

6. 2RT307

2RT307
    Expand Collapse

I don't know, either. Maybe a way that he marks them as he worked on them?

Brett

7. Sonar

Sonar
    Expand Collapse

You read my mind. Thanks for saving me the one who had to ask. I was going to do a search or Mal and what made his work on that particular transciver that made it highly coveted. 73

Eastside likes this.
  8. Sonar

Sonar
    Expand Collapse

It never ceases to amaze me what most of you guys will do for others. This site is truly like one big family. That is excellent that you would go out of your way to do what you will be doing for this operator. Taking and sending pictures to somebody who you most likely don't even know. It makes the paying it forward system very relevant. I myself would love to see those photos I hope you post them as opposed to sending them in a P.M to the member who's asking.

2RT307 likes this.
  9. cbkidd1

cbkidd1
    Expand Collapse

BBB, Here is the long awaited picture of the receipts that I got with the Yaesu ft-102, That I promised to post, Sonar, BBB knows me now. After selling him a radio in person. And him trusting me enough for him to pay for two power supplies up front. Then picking them up a week later, He will tell you that i am very honest and trustworthy as i believe him to be also. ft-102 receipts.jpg 1. Yaesu service post card. 2. Repair receipt. 3. Shipping receipt for repair being sent to yaesu. 4. Receipt for ft-102 purchase 84". 5. Warranty registration card. 6. am/fm receipt 7. Parts list.

#24 cbkidd1, May 6, 2017
    Last edited: May 6, 2017
    wavrider, BBB and 2RT307 like this.