• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Wanting a good radio

smokestack

Sep 11, 2005
Clinton Indiana
Is the magnum S-3 a good radio to get? Im wanting something that when i talk im heard. And i dont have alot of money. I have a old uniden pc66xl thats stock right now. I dont know alot about radios...but im learning from these forums...Any help would be great.

Yea the S-3 is a nice radio. The most important part of your system is the antenna. The S-3 and a Predator 10K would be a smokin set up

Try a Wilson 1000 or 5000 trucker antenna, As far as the tuning goes it's very easy. One SWR meter an allen wrench and 10 minutes and your done. The hardest part is running your coax. Good Luck, Let us know how you made out

thanks for the advice so quick. It will be a couple more weeks before i can buy one. Thats why im here asking what i need. How are the general radios? They seem to be about the same price.

Base loaded antennas with wire whips have a set screw (or two) just below the area that the whip is inserted into the loading coil. By loosening up the set screw(s) you are able to slide the whip up or down as required. If the SWR is higher on ch 40 slide the whip down, If the SWR is higher on ch 1 raise the whip.

Are you looking for just 40 channels? or are you looking for something with side-band? I guess it all depends on what you are going to use it for. You can buy a radio that variable power such as a President Lincoln or buy a radio that has been peaked and tuned. Ask lots of questions and watch who you buy from. Anybody on this forum will give you good advise, so ask before you buy. Good luck

well i mainly use it just to talk when driving. Im just wanting something with good power. I dont know anything about side bands and all that. Dont know what it does. I guess all i need is 40 channels. I guess im just really really new to all this. heh. I really just want alot of power and good sound quality. I had asked at the local cd shop about getting my uniden peaked and tweaked and he said it wasnt really worth the money, That it wouldnt give me much power at all and the sound quality would drop big time. Thats when i started looking and found the export radios..sounded like what i wanted.

i have a brand new s-3 forsale if you are intrested. pm me if you are intrested thanks. but over all its a great radio 48 watts

you say you have a radio already? you might think about getting a better antenna and possibly an amplifier. That way the radio doesn't need alot of power.

Well, I've got two cents,
Without knowing where you want to go, here's my pick(s) of the litter....
40 Ch: Older and unmolested Grant Xl (Send it to freecell for setup)
Export: Gen Lee (connex 3300hp)
Ham: HR2510 (send it to doc for setup)
Antenna: If you want a no Barbra Streisand radiator go with the Beer Can radiator (LMAO! see old thread) But seriously I may stir up some excrament again (it has been known to happen!) but a 5' Solarcon powerstick top loaded graphite fiber has and will usually outperform all the $$$ Center loaded "spring on steroids" jobs at an affordable price if you need "compact" otherwise a 102 whip fed with lmr400 CAN NOT BE BEATEN (in the single stick catagory)
Now that I'm broke.....
Punchin' out!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.