• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WAS

novakor

Apr 5, 2005
Reno,Nevada
Looking for any and all hams to help with my WAS award. PM me or post a sked.I can work 80 thru 10 meters (Phone only). It doesn't have to be a long QSO......just general info,signal report and an exchange in QSL cards. Thanks

novakor,
Setting up schedules is one was. Another way is to find one of the 'WAS'-nets and join in. And another way is to just listen to any/every one you can find to see where they are. Lots of ways of doing a 'WAS'.

Probably the simplest/easiest/cheapest way is to get into one of those 'WAS' nets. They usually have a 'buro' to make exchanging cards faster and easier. Some nets are 'easier' than others, and you can sort of set your own standards for contacts to some limited degree. You can find them on almost any band. Usually some time in the evenings, or late nights (depends a lot on band propagation for 'when' is best). Then there's a couple of those 'WAS' nets that are not so easy. Not impossible but more 'exacting' for how contacts are made, not much help if any at all. And then there's at least one that I know of that does a 'WAS' in every conceivable manner you can think of, not just by the state. Using 1x2 calls, 1x3 calls, calls with the operator's initials, mobiles, and on, and on, until you begin to wonder what the #3^^ you're doing all this for! It's fun though.
Good luck with it!
- 'Doc

When I first got my Conditional ticket (General by mail) in 1960, and Nevada was still "rarest of the rare", I'd get on 15 meter (or 40, sometimes 20) AM and call CQ, indicating clearly that I was in NV. The pileups were terrific, and the QSL rate was nearly 100%. That was how I got my first WAS, and I didn't even keep track that closely. One day I started sorting cards and found that I only needed Montana. I concentrated on 40M that afternoon and got three of them.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.