• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Watch those meter leads!

Captain Kilowatt

Professional Amateur
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nova Scotia,Canada
I know there are a lot of you out there that have tube type amps and some of those have really high voltages in them. Some are a couple of thousand volts.Those of you that dare to work on them should pay special attention to your meter leads of your VOM.I worked in the broadcast biz for 22 years and routinely worked with voltages as high as 5000 volts with never an incident. I attribute that to training and respect of what high voltage can do. I never feared working on high voltage power supplies but I was always cautious and aware of what I was doing as I respected what lurked in those power supplies.Failure to respect high voltage can be disastrous to your health.

Yesterday I was cleaning up a few things in the basement and found some old transformers I had forgotten about. I set them up on a towel on the wooden kitchen table which was on the hardwood floor and I sat in a wooden chair and connected my variac to see just what the voltage was. A couple were high current filament transformers and a couple were low voltage power transformers but one was obviously a plate transformer from a transmitter.It was meant to be run from the 240 v AC line but I had it connected through my variac to the 120 v line and figured I would just multiply the output voltage by two to determine the true output value of it. It did have a plate on it detailing the specs but it was unreadable.I was told it came from a Collins transmitter from many years ago. The meter I use is a Triplett model 630-PLK,an oldie but a goodie.It has an AC and a DC range of 5000 volts.All was going well until I tested the HV transformer. I had one lead connected to one side of the secondary and had the other lead in my left hand and held it against the other terminal of the secondary. (mistake #1) With my right hand, I turned up the voltage with the variac. ( given mistake #1 this was mistake #2) As the voltage approached 3400 volts AC I began to feel a slight tingle in my left hand. I thought nothing of it as I have some circulation issues when I hold my hand/arm in a certain position for very long and it felt the same way. (mistake #3) Seeing 3400 volts on the meter when the variac was full on I decided to turn the voltage down before removing the meter leads because sometimes there can be an arc from the lead to the terminal with that kind of voltage.Not taking my eyes off the meter lead in my hand I reached with my right hand for the variac knob when things went bad.I touched the metal case of the variac and instantly it felt as if my skin was on fire and someone stabbed me in the chest.I barely remember yelling or grunting something as I was thrown to the floor.I ached all over and it was hard to breathe. My wife came running in a panic thinking for sure I was dead or on my way to being so.I thought the same thing. Being a registered nurse she quickly checked my pulse and it was as fast as a hummingbird but strong and regular. After a minute or so I sat up and began to wonder WTH happened. After she realized I was going to be OK my wife ripped a strip off me. I told her she just did'nt want to have to put her lips on mine to give me CPR. ( mistake # 4) After regaining my wits I checked things out. In my haste to do something I overlooked what leads I had used. I could not find my regular meter leads that are made from 5,000 volt high voltage wire and instead had picked up a set that were from a differant meter. Printed on the test leads was "600 volts".With nearly six times the max voltage applied to the test leads the insulation broke down and leakage currents were present on the meter leads. That was what was causing the tingling sensation in my hand and since I was insulated by the wooden furniture on the wooden floor that was all I felt. As soon as I touched the metal cased variac I was grounded.
My muscles still ache especially the one in my right shoulder and neck and I have a headache but all is well. I still do not fear high voltage but I could kick myself for not paying attention to what I was using for meter leads.Yesterday was a close call,one I do not care to repeat. If any of you are working with high voltage pay attention to the voltage rating of the meter leads.It may be the only thing between you and the after life.

That was a close one!!

I only do this as a hobby and never worked with the high voltage stuff, but one time I was working on my car and a wrench contacted the + and - post and BAMM! It blew the battery up!

That was a close one!!

I only do this as a hobby and never worked with the high voltage stuff, but one time I was working on my car and a wrench contacted the + and - post and BAMM! It blew the battery up!

One fellow I know lost his finger doing the same thing you did.He was a diesel mechanic and was using a wrench to tighten the + terminal on a bulldozer battery and the wrench contacted his wedding ring which grounded out against the frame.The tremendous current flow through his ring burned the flesh off his finger and they could not restore circulation dispite efforts to do so. He eventually ended up having it amputated.They never did find the ring BTW.

In my case I guess that even though the insulation broke down there was still enough resistance to prevent me from getting the full force of the 3400 volts thank God. I felt weak and sick to my stomache the rest of the day after it happened. It really scrambles your body up.

First, glad you are ok. You may now be sterile!

I watched two guys at Firestone when I worked there get messed up. They were in the control room troubleshooting a PLC control relay. This was a pump up type. One guy was holding the meter and reading the schematic while the other guy was touching the leads to the terminals. Since carbon black was everywhere it made reading the numbers hard. The guy touched a terminal that was connected to 13.5 K. Blew the guys fingers off and the one holding the meter lost an ear due to the flash. It burned it off..

I had my share of shocks from amps. Most were from faulty meter leads.

First, glad you are ok. You may now be sterile!

Not worried about that. After two boys I had the doctor take care of that. :laugh:

I watched two guys at Firestone when I worked there get messed up. They were in the control room troubleshooting a PLC control relay. This was a pump up type. One guy was holding the meter and reading the schematic while the other guy was touching the leads to the terminals. Since carbon black was everywhere it made reading the numbers hard. The guy touched a terminal that was connected to 13.5 K. Blew the guys fingers off and the one holding the meter lost an ear due to the flash. It burned it off..

Yikes,carbon black is bad news around any voltage especially high voltage.:eek:

I had my share of shocks from amps. Most were from faulty meter leads.

I see I am not alone in that regard.You should always inspect your meter leads before using them. Even a good HV lead can have a small crack in the insulation if it is very old. :thumbdown:

Years ago when I was cutting my teeth working on tube type televisions I had an incident that still rattles me. I was checking the high voltage on a CRT while setting at a work bench with the chassis facing me. Nothing on the probe...0, I looked at the mirror in front of the set and could see a good picture. Now I knew something was wrong. I looked down and saw that the ground clip had came off from the chassis and was setting on the seat of the chair between my legs too close to home. I called the other tech there and had him kill the power as my hands and body were shaking too much to do it myself. After slowly backing away and taking a three hour lunch break I came back to work. Never had a problem again measuring HV. That was too close for comfort and could have been very painful.
I work on TV and FM transmitters now and have a well learned respect for HV. You can never be too careful and should never get to the point of where you do not have fear in you while working around HV.

BC

I work on TV and FM transmitters now and have a well learned respect for HV. You can never be too careful and should never get to the point of where you do not have fear in you while working around HV.

BC

I have to disagree about the fear part. Maybe I just see things differant or express things differant but the way I see it is that if you are afraid of it then you should not be working on it. Fear does not necessarily bring caution with it.Fear can lead one to the mindset that since they do not want to work on it then they may be ill prepared to work on it and THAT can be very bad.Knowledge and respect is what I believe in when it comes to HV.Know what to do and how to do it and also know what can happen if you do not do it correctly.Respect what lurks in those HV power supplies and treat them like you would any other enemy that is capable of killing you in a heartbeat.I see them as no differant than a gun. Are you afraid of a gun or do you understand it's capabilities and respect them?

No, but I did have a lot of fun with the generator unit from an old hand cranked telephone. BTW, fish don't like it when you put the leads in the tank and give the handle a spin. (y)
hahah yeah it's called phoning up fish, my dad lost several toe nails from some old military transfomers back in the mid 70's while trying to make his sb-220 blow smoke.

Get yourself a magneto from an old v-4 wisconsin, loads of fun.

I guess fear is the wrong word and wasn't aware it was going to be analyzed so closely. Fear, being scared, cautious, all keep you on your toes when working on HV. If you ever get to the point you are not scared or fearfull of HV that is the time you should quit fooling with it. I've seen the result of people who got to this point. It is not pretty. Compare it to a snake. You might fear the snake, but if you know enough about it you can deal with it and not have any problems. But the fear is still there. You know it will bite you if you don't treat it correctly.
But it is your right to disagree and have your own opinion. That's what makes up the world.

BC

I think maybe we actually think the same but just look at it differantly.That sounds confusing does'nt it? :D I see you saying fear the consequences and I am saying respect what could happen. Same thing I guess but I just don't have a fear of working on HV stuff but I am not foolhardy either. Maybe that is what you meant,not to be foolhardy and take things lightly. If so that is what I think as well but express it differantly.

... ever messed with an old dynamotor?

Oh, yes! Got the sierra hotel india tango knocked out of me once. Never did THAT again. It put a teeny pinhole in my thumb to the BONE! OUCHEE!!:( It hurt for WEEKS!!! I have several dynamotors in the furnace room left over from those days. One still is like NEW! I have a BD-77 dynamotor. For grins, I was going to make an amp out of it, but never got around to it.......................

Funny story, Doc. I was a young buck in those days and I had an old Lettine 240 AM transmitter with a DM-35 dyno and an AM converter on the car radio. The antenna was a Master Mobile 75 Meter coil (I've got a box of them, too!)(y). The local watering hole was Shoney's Big Boy where I could often be found on Saturday night if I struck out for a date.

One hot August night I eased into Shoneys and pulled in under the shed at the curb with the order boxes. It had just rained (T-storm) and the pavement was still steamy and the humidity was just oppressive. I couldn't get under the front of the shed because of the LONG, 11 foot Master Mobile HF antenna. In the parking lot behind Shoneys (a W T Grant dept. store), was a large gang of "punks" on Harley's sitting in a row, observing the customers, and making snide remarks to people as they cruised thru------especially the girls. Naturally, they noticed my big antenna on the Chevy. (Shoneys eventually built a fence so people couldn't park there; only customers could cruise thru or park.)

"Look at that nerd with the big 'whoop' on his car!"

"Yeah, Whaddya figger that thing is for?"

"He thinks he's hot s--- with that on there-----I think I'll just break that %$#@ thing off"!

I thought to myself, "Oh yeah? We'll see about that!":D Then I turned on the filaments and watched in my rearview as this long-haired hippie-type with tattoos and chains tippy-toed across to my car, thinking I didn't see him. He squatted down and gingerly reached for the whip just above the loading coil, again thinking I didn't see what he was doing.

I keyed the mike, starting the dynamotor and applying HV to the plate. If the guy had GRABBED the whip HARD in a firm grip, it wouldn't have been so bad; it would just gotten HOT and he'd just be forced to turn loose. BUT!!!!!! He, gingerly in an attempt to sneak up on me, started to touch the whip EASY. Remember: it was WET, HUMID, the antenna was wet, the hippie was wet and was standing on WET pavement in wet sandals. A thin, blue FIRE (ZEEEET!) arced from the antenna to his two fingers! :drool: He let out a bloody OOWWWWWWWWWW------(BLANKETY-BLANK IT!!!!!!) and jumped sky high flinging his hand as I snickered at him, careful not to let him see me laugh!!!!

He went back to his "gang" cursing and shaking his hand. "DON'T F*** WITH THAT (CENSORED) SHIV-O-LAY, IT IS EE-LECK-TREE-FIEEEED!

From that day on, I never had anyone mess with my mobile ham station. Everybody believed my car would shock ya!!!!!!!

CWM

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.