• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weak solar cycles = another big decline of the 11 meter local & DX population

I have enjoyed CB radio for years. Naturally, there have been times of frustration, but my overall experience has been great. I enjoy some local folks, often helping them get their stations on the air, continuing in the radio tradition of friendship and cooperation. I thrive on long distance communications. Speaking to some of the folks on the forums across country, or internationally, has only made my experiences more memorable, especially on antennas I've built from flea market and hardware store parts.
Just recently transitioning to Amateur radio I remain excited about the fun and possibilities. I have been a ham for 2-1/2 weeks and have heard an argument on the 75m, but I've heard far more really decent folks, and been warmly congratulated for getting my ticket with numerous invitations to check in on the weekly nets and daily roundtables. This is what I identify with...
I have already loaded up my CB antenna mast as a multiband vertical, put up a 20 meter dipole, taken it down and put up a fan dipole, then took it apart to try a doublet fed with twin lead and first time homebrewed 4:1 and 1:1 current baluns. For the life of me I can not imagine being distracted by craziness from the sheer adventure of traveling the world on the airwaves from the comfort of a customized, personalized shack.
And, I have done none of it alone. The fraternity of radio enthusiasts here on this forum and others I enjoy, in my neighborhood, and imagined faces whose voices I recognize although having never met face to face have helped me on my journey. Thanks, BTW.
I am still enthused about radio. It means more to me than any "what used to be" (no disrespect intended). For me it is like a stew, you get out of it what you put in.
Homer
KG5SQX

Reactions: Robb
I hope you're being sarcastic about blaming Truckers. CB use has significantly died off in the last 20 years with drivers today, Yet the big radios that are responsible for the most of the polluted airwaves are the base stations and are still alive and well on channels 6,26,28, and let's not forget the obnoxious radios with pingers from across the borders. Still truck drivers get blamed.

With all the under-skilled and under-trained foreigners coming over driving trucks and many are even illegally licensed, and along with the new breeds, CB use in the trucking industry is becoming a thing of the past.

Don't believe me, take a look at any california or Illinois licensed truck. You'll see either no antennas or broken ones and no radio on the dash or upper console. The california reefer trucks are mostly Sikhs from India driving them and the Illinois trucks are Eastern European from mostly the former Soviet block countries. These people could care less about what a CB is much less socialize with Americans, at least that's the vibe I get from many of them.

The new breed drivers have other forms of electronic entertainment and have electronic logs, GPS, smartphones and laptops. Their company gives them there routings for pickups and delivery and fuel stops. What would they need a CB for?

About the only areas where the drivers that turn their radios on when most of the time they're off is in in those 55 mph communist states like california. As soon as these drivers hit the Arizona border, the radio is turned back off.

I hope that explains a good part of the decline of CB use within the trucking industry.

Heh. In my experience, the radio is turned off in Cali, too. The radios seem to come on when traffic stops. Every time traffic stops, I hear a new voice about every 90 seconds. "Hey, why aren't we moving? What's going on up there? What lane do I need?" Side note; how is it that the guy who makes bird noises makes every single accident and major traffic jam across the nation?

The Sikhs; they are good people, all things considered, but they are scary drivers. Also, they have a habit of buying up truckstops, and running them down. There are more than a few truckstops that used to have CB shops that were, reportedly, good. The Sikhs bought the stop, and the CB shop is gone. The restaurants contained within also die, or it turns into Indian Cuisine.

Many truckers that are in their early 30's, or younger, never even had a CB before, and either don't understand why they should have them (they view it as ancient and obsolete tech), or they think that CB is "plug and play".

Of the older group of drivers, many are 2nd or 3rd career drivers that just have zero interest in radio communication. They just figure that, with smartphones, GPS, radar detectors, and the Qualcomm, the radio is unnecessary.

The guys that figure CB is old tech, they aren't going to spend the money on a decent radio system. They MIGHT get a Cobra 19, and plug it into the prewired system on the truck. If that's your first radio experience, that will turn you off in less than 3 minutes.

I bought my 1st radio from a neighbor when I was about 10. I kept it in a briefcase with 2 6v lantern batteries, and used a coathanger for an antenna. Looking back, I am amazed that I was able to talk to anyone! CB was still in heavy use, though, and I was close to an Interstate, so even with what must have been very limited range, I had a lot of conversation. I was really interested in all forms of radio communication, prior to that, and after that, I was hooked. Even so, I only, within the past couple years, have begun to understand how much I don't know about the subject. Everything I learn or figure out seems to come with more mysteries to solve. I want to learn the stuff. But, so many people, now, expect everything to be plug and play, and have no patience or attention span for setting up a decent station.

Lastly, so many trucking companies pay crap wages, especially if the driver got conned into the "Lease Operator" scam. Even if they DID want a radio, they can't afford it. They can barely afford to eat.

Reactions: fourstringburn
Heh. In my experience, the radio is turned off in Cali, too. The radios seem to come on when traffic stops. Every time traffic stops, I hear a new voice about every 90 seconds. "Hey, why aren't we moving? What's going on up there? What lane do I need?" Side note; how is it that the guy who makes bird noises makes every single accident and major traffic jam across the nation?

The Sikhs; they are good people, all things considered, but they are scary drivers. Also, they have a habit of buying up truckstops, and running them down. There are more than a few truckstops that used to have CB shops that were, reportedly, good. The Sikhs bought the stop, and the CB shop is gone. The restaurants contained within also die, or it turns into Indian Cuisine.

Many truckers that are in their early 30's, or younger, never even had a CB before, and either don't understand why they should have them (they view it as ancient and obsolete tech), or they think that CB is "plug and play".

Of the older group of drivers, many are 2nd or 3rd career drivers that just have zero interest in radio communication. They just figure that, with smartphones, GPS, radar detectors, and the Qualcomm, the radio is unnecessary.

The guys that figure CB is old tech, they aren't going to spend the money on a decent radio system. They MIGHT get a Cobra 19, and plug it into the prewired system on the truck. If that's your first radio experience, that will turn you off in less than 3 minutes.

I bought my 1st radio from a neighbor when I was about 10. I kept it in a briefcase with 2 6v lantern batteries, and used a coathanger for an antenna. Looking back, I am amazed that I was able to talk to anyone! CB was still in heavy use, though, and I was close to an Interstate, so even with what must have been very limited range, I had a lot of conversation. I was really interested in all forms of radio communication, prior to that, and after that, I was hooked. Even so, I only, within the past couple years, have begun to understand how much I don't know about the subject. Everything I learn or figure out seems to come with more mysteries to solve. I want to learn the stuff. But, so many people, now, expect everything to be plug and play, and have no patience or attention span for setting up a decent station.

Lastly, so many trucking companies pay crap wages, especially if the driver got conned into the "Lease Operator" scam. Even if they DID want a radio, they can't afford it. They can barely afford to eat.
You pretty much confirmed and repeated what I previously posted.

I do want to point out I'm not trying to slander people by nationality, it was just my assement of what has changed in the trucking industry over the years.

I have known people from India since Jr. High school and talked with some at loading docks. I have found people from India to being some of the most polite and cordial people around. However, Many of them aren't so nice behind the wheel of a big truck.

Oh, yeah, I didn't think that you were trying to slander anyone. I just didn't want anyone to think that I was, lol.

I like the Sikhs; they make great neighbors, especially the devout ones. And, you are absolutely correct about their manners. I think that their theology is a little screwy, but they probably think the same about mine, so...

Still, scary drivers, though. And, poor understanding of how truckstops should be run.

Yeah, I figured that I was saying about the same thing that you were, from a slightly different direction.

I do try, when given the opportunity, to encourage other drivers towards radio use. If time allows, I give tips on better radio operation, and share what has worked for me, and what hasn't. And, I point out why "ancient and obsolete tech" is still relevant, and what the CB can do that smartphone apps can't. For example, if there is something wrong with your truck, that you cannot see, another driver WILL get on the radio and try to tell you about it. Also, that weather app may tell you about the snow ahead, but the truck going the opposite direction can tell you if it's worth trying to drive through or not.

I have found people from India to being some of the most polite and cordial people around. However, Many of them aren't so nice behind the wheel of a big truck.

That's because they learned to drive in India. Have you ever seen just how they drive there? :eek: There used to be a show on called Don't drive Here and the host traveled the world taking on a typical local job that involved driving like a trucker, delivery driver etc. First he had to pass the "test" to get a local drivers license. They did an episode from Mumbai. Absolutely chaos.

get behind a bus and hang close.

Wow! Surprising there isn't an accident being shown. Total chaos without a doubt!

Maybe they are good drivers after all to withstand roads like that with no lights, stop signs, and not even striped traffic lanes, just point the car in the direction you need, step on the gas and go.

Wow! Surprising there isn't an accident being shown. Total chaos without a doubt!

Maybe they are good drivers after all to withstand roads like that with no lights, stop signs, and not even striped traffic lanes, just point the car in the direction you need, step on the gas and go.

And that looks mild compared to a busy city centre.

I know the decline of the 11 meter hobby is always discussed and I've heard all the arguments since the early 90's but I'm feeling like things have changed a bit.

There's a couple of points that have me worried about the future of the CB hobby -

• I can't remember the last time 11meter DX was this dead - even in a bad cycle. And it's forecast to be bad for a number of years and the next cycle is also predicted to be weak. https://www.vencoreweather.com/blog...entury-now-heading-towards-next-solar-minimum
  • The locals who were on for years seem to be fading out. I've noticed a big decline in local talking in most areas I travel through. In the two larger cities I pass through 500K plus population ( there are maybe 10-20 CB operators who are regularly on the radio and even 10 years ago that number was probably double. You'll hear dump trucks or drivers during the day in the city but at night it's a ghost town of channels.
  • Much of the hobby population is older and starting to fade out
  • There seem to be less and less truckers on the radio or that even have radios
  • Current technology means youth aren't as interested in CB radio - actual knowledge of the existence of current radios/hobby seems to be lost on youth. Most people under 20 don't even know what a CB radio is / or if they do they didn't know you can still buy them or use them without a license. Nor do they have any incentive or drive to learn aside from a small group of 4x4 users.
  • The radio market is showing signs of the contraction - 10 years ago we'd have multiple radio launches each year with unique designs and competition even with the clones. The number of new radios/products has slowed drastically in the last 2-3 years.
  • Interference - we've seen more electrical interference from BPL and other technology and in many city areas the interference is getting ridiculous.
Now I'm not saying that this means that in 10 years no one will be on the radio - I'm sure all the hardcore users and DXer's who have always been on there will continue to be - however if you go through 2 terrible cycles the likes of which we haven't seen in 100 years and even in the "peak years" the DX sucks will we see more people start to shelve their radios?

I'm also wondering if the FCC is considering killing the CB band and reallocating it to another use.

In my area I would expect that in another 20 years most of the CB hobbyists will be gone and that overall the national CB DX population will be reduced by 1/2 or more.

I know that there have been numerous times where we have seen declines - but this time around seems a little different combination of factors. I know the ham crowd will say there is still plenty of action on the ham bands which I also enjoy however I'm lamenting the loss of a particular band/style/crowd that I always found enjoyable.

On the plus side we won't see as many pileups during DX and for now I basically have my own radio service - 40 local channels of nothing.

Anyway - just a depressing topic to ponder while we wait for the DX to return (hopefully it will) :)
This happens every cycle since radio has began.

Just have to be patient and be ready for the next cycle, Lord willing.

My sons have grown up using CB radios because that has been our preferred method of keeping in touch from house to boat. My older son goes four wheeling with his friends out in the Everglades west of Miami - an area where you oftentimes can't get cell phone service. I gave his buddy a 40 channel walkie talkie and stainless steel Radio Shack 102" whip. I set up a simple magnet mount for my son to use on his own car.

So, there is some passing of the torch onto the next generation, but I don't think we'll ever see the radio clubs and networks that CB saw in the 70s and 80s.

I know the decline of the 11 meter hobby is always discussed and I've heard all the arguments since the early 90's but I'm feeling like things have changed a bit.

There's a couple of points that have me worried about the future of the CB hobby -

• I can't remember the last time 11meter DX was this dead - even in a bad cycle. And it's forecast to be bad for a number of years and the next cycle is also predicted to be weak. https://www.vencoreweather.com/blog...entury-now-heading-towards-next-solar-minimum
  • The locals who were on for years seem to be fading out. I've noticed a big decline in local talking in most areas I travel through. In the two larger cities I pass through 500K plus population ( there are maybe 10-20 CB operators who are regularly on the radio and even 10 years ago that number was probably double. You'll hear dump trucks or drivers during the day in the city but at night it's a ghost town of channels.
  • Current technology means youth aren't as interested in CB radio - actual knowledge of the existence of current radios/hobby seems to be lost on youth. Most people under 20 don't even know what a CB radio is / or if they do they didn't know you can still buy them or use them without a license. Nor do they have any incentive or drive to learn aside from a small group of 4x4 users.
  • The radio market is showing signs of the contraction - 10 years ago we'd have multiple radio launches each year with unique designs and competition even with the clones. The number of new radios/products has slowed drastically in the last 2-3 years.
  • Interference - we've seen more electrical interference from BPL and other technology and in many city areas the interference is getting ridiculous.
Now I'm not saying that this means that in 10 years no one will be on the radio - I'm sure all the hardcore users and DXer's who have always been on there will continue to be - however if you go through 2 terrible cycles the likes of which we haven't seen in 100 years and even in the "peak years" the DX sucks will we see more people start to shelve their radios?

I'm also wondering if the FCC is considering killing the CB band and reallocating it to another use.

In my area I would expect that in another 20 years most of the CB hobbyists will be gone and that overall the national CB DX population will be reduced by 1/2 or more.

I know that there have been numerous times where we have seen declines - but this time around seems a little different combination of factors. I know the ham crowd will say there is still plenty of action on the ham bands which I also enjoy however I'm lamenting the loss of a particular band/style/crowd that I always found enjoyable.

On the plus side we won't see as many pileups during DX and for now I basically have my own radio service - 40 local channels of nothing.

Anyway - just a depressing topic to ponder while we wait for the DX to return (hopefully it will) :)
I agree with you on most points. I'm lucky to live in NJ where there's at least 3 channels in the South Jersey area where I live with lots of locals. I also know for fact NY and

I agree with what you have to say. I am lucky enough to live in New Jersey where there are many local channels that one can set your clock to and actually havie a qso with many locals on a daily bases. I also hear from friends that are still located in my hometown of New York that the five boroughs are thriving with CB radio operators. While the cycle was at its height or or even nearing its end the locals here in New Jersey that could operated on sideband have basically disappeared completely. I have recently learned that most of those side band operators were indeed ticket holders and have abandon 11 meters for 10 40 and a majority of them can be heard on 2 meters as often as they were on channel 38 LSb. It does seem to be that most of the people who are operating CB radios are people operating on CB are older 50 and up. As you mentioned modern technology has most likely changed the face of CB radio. I doubt it will ever be as it was because of the boat load of new communicational devices that are out there. Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, ECT ECT has put a dent in the amount of people who are interested In having to do the things one needs to in order to get on the air. I think people who do get into the hobby do so with the intention and beforehand knowledge that they will be using their computers in combination with their equipment. 73

Truckers have always been in a class of their own. I rarely talked to them back in the day and instead stayed on other channels. There was sort of a rivalry between them and locals back then. Truckers are usually not in it for the hobby, they are on CB to get traffic info and to talk to their buddies. Many of them have no desire to talk to anyone else. It seems like a lot of them want to talk on their radio, but they just can't get a conversation going. I try to talk to them and it is just awkward sometimes! lol They usually know nothing about radio theory and pay these CB shops to do things most of us can do on our own. Like someone else mentioned they will have some cheap radio and antenna, I don't think most of them are even run an amp these days. A lot of them sound like they are on radios that have not been tuned. When the regulars are out there talking to them, I can't even hear them, but will hear the other one loud and clear. You would swear they are ghost talking, but the people they are talking to just have micky mouse radios.

I think once the over 40 crowd kicks the bucket, CB radio will be a thing of the past. Many of us are in it because we grew up when it was still popular. Noobs that buy radios grow tired of it quickly because there are not many people in a given area with CB's anymore. I can imagine it is frustrating for them not to get answered by these big radios that can't hear their 4 watts.

BTW I like talking to those guys in New York and Jersey, they have a lot to talk about.

Last edited:
If everyone thinks it dead..then its dead. I talked to Guam on channel 11 with only a 4 pill and a Wilson 5000. I love this DX.
Glad to make the contact 131, hope we are able to do it again.. but I have barely heard any stateside signals in months.. months nothing. You might have been one of the last few I heard since then. There is still a fairly reliable path to the minigrass for and hour or two in the afternoons, but even that is starting to become sporadic. Maybe once a week short opening to down under, but that's about it. Its all DX for me, no local talkers so I'm preparing for longer dry spells in the future. Take care, 21Guam

Glad to make the contact 131, hope we are able to do it again.. but I have barely heard any stateside signals in months.. months nothing. You might have been one of the last few I heard since then. There is still a fairly reliable path to the minigrass for and hour or two in the afternoons, but even that is starting to become sporadic. Maybe once a week short opening to down under, but that's about it. Its all DX for me, no local talkers so I'm preparing for longer dry spells in the future. Take care, 21Guam

Thanks, suprised you heard my little 4 pill and wilson 5000! I always try DX when it's quite...you never know. For that period of time you where the king of the bowl!
Got home last night around 11pm and 6,11 where quiet...but 19 was alive with truckers in a small area in Wyoming. You never know.
Last weekend the mini grass was kickn. Normally Asia and Australia start rolling around this time of year.
I'll keep looking.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.