• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weak solar cycles = another big decline of the 11 meter local & DX population

DX was pretty good this past week, mainly on the east coast, made lots of contacts with my Optima MK3, 5 pill Dave Made and Sirio 5000, I was very happy!

DX was also hot on the AM radio band this past week overnight. Picked up a radio station in Quebec!

Last edited:
Finally got rid of 95% of my gear. Kept one radio and mobile antenna and threw them in storage. I'll catch you guys on the air in 2024 maybe?

Reactions: Klondike Mike
. . . More like 2020.

Been hearing and talking up and down the West Coast for the last few hours. From SoCal to Alberta CA.
just when you think skip is gone it then shows up from some part of the states....currently getting a lot in the early/late evenings from the northern regions, Washington state/Oregon/Canada/ and then extreme south, Arizona....I live in CA...
Rob waiting to here from you out in skip land but nothing yet...
So, skip is still active but just not like it was in the past....more patients is required and don't throw in the towel just because its not in full throttle...this hobby is my past time away from my daily 12 hr. working day's....just hearing static makes me relax...

Reactions: Robb
I can't say for certain, but I was sitting down in SoCal (far enough south for my phone to think I was in Tijuana ) last night, and I'm fairly certain that I was picking up a little skip on 38LSB.

The signal was fading in and out, so I didn't bother trying to say anything. It didn't sound like a local conversation, though.

We're still 2 or 3 years away from the bottom of Solar Cycle 24, which has been the weakest in recent times. As we go into the summer, there will be occasional Sporadic E 10-11 meter skip openings, of the type being described, but long-term band openings above 14 Mhz will be very scarce for the next several years. CB around this part of the midwest is almost non-existant, except for truck traffic on Ch 19, which is actually fine with me. I have CBs mounted in my cars for situational awareness, particularly in bad weather. All I want is to hear what's happening 5-15 miles ahead of me, which I'm able to do. My wife and I are both hams (I've been one for 54 years), and we have VHF/UHF mobile rigs in both are cars, but even the local repeaters are pretty quiet, and I mainly use those radios to monitor the public service channels. In the pre-cellphone days, CB or 2-meters were the only alternatives for local base-to-mobile, or mobile-to-mobile contact,(2 meter autopatch was revolutionary back in the 70s) but that was then, and this is now, and the result is greatly diminished local activity. For those who want DX action, ham radio is still the way to go. As I type this, I'm watching signals from Slovenia, Germany, Ukraine, Denmark, and England on 30 meters. Of course, to work them you need to know CW, as voice is prohibited there, but I'm seeing DX Cluster spots for most of those same countries up on 20 meter SSB. Working stateside stations is always possible on any of the lower bands.

Rick, W0FG

Reactions: BJ radionut
Its been pretty regular from SOCAL to NW corner and the mini grass.
And if it's like every other year, I should start hearing some down under and some rising sun stations soon.

I was pretty depressed the last few months about the dying skip, and I just put a 29 in the work truck. I finally tossed a 148gtl in there and was surprised at the skip I have heard the last few weeks. I told an operator to turn his echo off last week, and it turned out he was vice president of the local radio club that I didn't know existed.
It is true that a lot of people have no clue what radio can do. I have a big monkey made on my roof and people are always asking what it is for. 99 out of 100 look at me cross eyed when I tell them I have talked to Australia with it.
Even my 8 year old son called someone a "stupid head" on low 38. I slapped him upside the head and told him he shouldn't say anything on the radio that he wouldn't say in person. Maybe this virtual reality life we live will kill radio... I don't know

I was just in SD; next time I'm the area, I'll listen out for an 8yo calling people names, lol.

I spend more time on 19AM than on 38LSB, though. 19 is more relevant to work.

I know this is an 11 thread but just as an FYI my friend in Salt Lake and I routinely talk to each other. While yes not on 11 meters but just trying to point out that maybe its time to think about moving up...fyi I am in Chicago. We usually start out on 17 meters but will jump around till we find a band that works for us... just food for thought.

Reactions: Road Squawker
That is just another reason to get your ham ticket. There is almost always a band working. The Maximum Usable Frequency (MUF) changes and during the low solar cycles the lower frequencies don't really need the solar effects on the atmosphere to get out. Nor do you need Thousands of watts to get out. I have made one contact in Mumbai using just 100 watts.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.