• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Weird Cobra 29 LTD WX Classic Problem

CTStallion

Aug 29, 2010
Connecticut
I've got two older (Taiwan) Cobra LTD WX Classics, one of them is a 29 LTD and the other is a 25 LTD.

I have a weird problem going on with BOTH of them, and that is:

When each of the radios is switched OFF, yet connected to a CONSTANT 13.8 VDC source, from time to time, occasionally, the radios will MOMENTARILY fire up, thus making a somewhat loud POPPING sound in the speaker.

My research on these radios indicated that this MIGHT be a WX alert feature, alerting me to switch to the WX bands. However, whenever I switch to WX, and receive the only two (2) NOAA WX stations I can hear from my location, there is NO ALERT.

Also, the 25 seems to do this more so than the 29 does.

Also, regardless of whether I'm receiving the CB band OR the WX band, from time to time I will hear this loud POP in the speaker, which of course happens intermittently....

What gives? Where should I be looking to fix this???

Yep, on/off switches are GOOD.

359, you might be onto something there, with my Astron RS-20A charging/discharging the isolation caps, as I test-switched the two affected Cobras to a Pyramid P.S. and did NOT experience the phenomenon at all.

One thing I DID notice about these two radios however, IS, that even with the radios switched OFF, as soon as I plug them into a constant supply, they INSTANTANEOUSLY light up, and then turn off. That is in the WX models only.... regular Cobra 29's, 25's and 21's don't do that.

Weird huh?

I know my 29ltd doesn't do it, but my 29lx does and the lx has wx, but it simply seems like the caps charging putting a voltage on the board with the current flow. So with the radio off, if it lost power because of the supply or a loose plug long enough to discharge the caps, it would try to turn on again when the supply hit it until the caps charged and the current stopped ................ or something like that =)

Nope, it ain't a power supply issue, because it does the SAME thing on both radios (eventually) once the ANTENNA is reconnected.

I don't think it's the VCO "locking vs. unlocking" thing, as it ALSO occurs when monitoring weather channels.

I wonder if it's the TA7222's?????

Any more suggestions, I'm ALL EARS.....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.