• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Well I got a letter from the FCC

KD2GOE

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
May 30, 2013
Buffalo
They told me my case is closed and no one in my area is in violation....

So now I am stuck with 9+ s-units of Buzzing from 9:45Pm to 9:45am every night....
Power company wont do any thing
I went over to the neighbour's house where it is located at and asked if they have any thing on trimmers, and if so I can give them filter chokes to put on to stop the RF interference. “They don’t know what I am talking about...“
This has been going on for 3 months I am aggravated, HF and 6 meters is a no go as long is this is going on....

what would you guys do? Just keep righting letters to the FCC? :bdh:

I did call the Power company thinking it was street lights but there off when it is going on or all ready on before it start....

It's probably a pot growing room on 12hr timers. Sounds like it anyway. If growing pot is illegal where you are, call the cops and say you think there may be some illegal activity at this location. You can or should be able to remain anonymous. Sounds like they are using the cheap ballasts and lights. Good luck and don't give up yet. There are other ways of handling it. JMO. Good luck and hope you get it sorted.

The correct way is to go thru the ARRL. It may not be to late. Call the ARRL and tell them you want to file an RFI complaint. They'll transfer you to the RFI complaint dude, you'll likely talk to Mike Gruber.

You may have just screwed yourself, though. Also, educate your friend so he doesn't continue to pass along bad advice for others.

Reactions: 1 person
The correct way is to go thru the ARRL. It may not be to late. Call the ARRL and tell them you want to file an RFI complaint. They'll transfer you to the RFI complaint dude, you'll likely talk to Mike Gruber.

You may have just screwed yourself, though. Also, educate your friend so he doesn't continue to pass along bad advice for others.

Well then that bites how did I screw myself? ill talk to my friend and inform him the right way.. live and learn I guess

and I sinned up with ARRL.org I fined a number to call ill give them a ring Monday...

just a hunch but I am sure this interference will stop in the fall.. :pop:

Yes, but you are suffering from harmful interference. The ARRL is your only salvation here.

Take notes, along with recordings of this noise. Upload the videos to an online host so you can send links for them to listen to.

If you have any documentation from the utility, saying it's not power line noise, send that as well.

Just call the ARRL and tell them your plight. Most of all, be polite and patient. This complaint process will take time, but you should prevail.

Also, most utilities don't realize, that if this interference is reradiating back over their power lines, then it is their problem. In this case, the power line is acting as an antenna and is classified as an incidental radiator. If you can hear this noise more than a couple hundred yards away, chances are, it's radiating back over the lines. One way to check is to place a portable receiver up next to other electric meters on the same transformer feed, or the lines that feed your particular area. If you hear this same noise on your neighbors meters, then the utility needs to confirm, then the ball is back in their court.

When the FCC sends this homeowner a letter advising them that a source of interference is coming from their property and harming you, it's basically, up to them to prove that they aren't harming you. They will also be told it's their responsibility to investigate and identity what it is. Most people just ignore these initial letters until the FCC starts sending enforcement letters instead, then people usually listen.

Last edited:
Yes, but you are suffering from harmful interference. The ARRL is your only salvation here.

Take notes, along with recordings of this noise. Upload the videos to an online host so you can send links for them to listen to.

If you have any documentation from the utility, saying it's not power line noise, send that as well.

Just call the ARRL and tell them your plight. Most of all, be polite and patient. This complaint process will take time, but you should prevail.

Also, most utilities don't realize, that if this interference is reradiating back over their power lines, then it is their problem. In this case, the power line is acting as an antenna and is classified as an incidental radiator. If you can hear this noise more than a couple hundred yards away, chances are, it's radiating back over the lines. One way to check is to place a portable receiver up next to other electric meters on the same transformer feed, or the lines that feed your particular area. If you hear this same noise on your neighbors meters, then the utility needs to confirm, then the ball is back in their court.

When the FCC sends this homeowner a letter advising them that a source of interference is coming from their property and harming you, it's basically, up to them to prove that they aren't harming you. They will also be told it's their responsibility to investigate and identity what it is. Most people just ignore these initial letters until the FCC starts sending enforcement letters instead, then people usually listen.

This is true...Few years ago here in the Dallas area sometimes you heard this repeating beeping type signal on channel 28, and could be driving around for miles and still hear it at the same signal strength...It wouldn't fade out for maybe 10 miles or so...Then one day when I was at a alternator shop over in the Oak Cliff area on the West side of Dallas I noticed this red light on the side of a transformer blinking to the beeps...That transformer was using the power lines as a antenna broadcasting the beep for miles...

Later the beeping stopped, but never really thought much about it until I was back in the area where that transformer was at, and I noticed it had been replaced...

Mkube396, listen to what duster and JJD are telling you, they know their stuff man. Hope you get the issue resolved. I have a good hunch about what they are doing per what you describe, and to my knowledge it's illegal in New York. But I could be totally off base!! Take the advice from duster and JJD and keep trying, you will prevail if you keep at it!! God bless.

That's almost funny. As tough they sent someone out to your area to measure the noise level and didn't just send you the generic prepared letter. Your case was closed long before anyone considered taking action based on its end result being viewed as an expense rather than a profit making fine generator. Didn't care enough when it was easy to enforce part 15 before the market was flooded with RF generators packed in cheap ballasts so you should expect the same when it's harder to track down on a case by case level.

The only ones who can get this job done when it does not involve a profit is the ARRL. The fact that light bulbs, TV's, computers, microwaves, modems and power supplies cause more RFI than radio operators do today should be a clue of job performance in this area. The CFL light bulb alone has ruined hundreds of thousands of peoples ability to listen to the AM broadcast band indoors. I solder a .01 uf 500 volt cap right across the base of mine, building up the center contact with solder just enough so the cap doesn't get crushed when the bulb is snugged in the socket. Solder glue or aluminum solder works on the outside threaded contact.

In my case I would have to report two whole cities to The FCC. Fluorescent lights from a local laundromat,all of the convenience stores,some strange loud electrical noise from a Mexican cafe in town,a Walmart distribution center and nearby manufacturing business and the power company lines feeding them. It would be effort of campaign proportions but I'll be moving to another state soon,yea!!!!
In your case,you need the help of The ARRL to give you some credibility(a boost),for them to remind The FCC that they have a responsibility to investigate your bona fide case. It's a matter of being persistent. Meanwhile,if I were you I would look into temporarily alternative propagation opportunities away from this noise problem but that's your choice.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio