1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What happened to the HOA vs Amature and Citizen antenna battle

Discussion in 'General Ham Radio Discussion' started by Tallman, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

I remember a while back the was a big hoopla over antennas in Restricted neighborhoods.
    I remember the ARRL was going to bat for us in league with the FCC.
    Were the HOA's sent packing or did the ARRL and the FCC get spanked?

2. BJ radionut

BJ radionut
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

The Senate killed the bill...by burying it in a committee...

The Amateur Radio Bill had passed the House...but never made it to the Senate floor
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/555/all-actions?overview=closed#tabs

01/24/2017 Senate:
    H.R.555 — 115th Congress (2017-2018)
    Received in the Senate and Read twice and referred to the Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation.
    NO Action since referred to them...
    All the Best
    Gary

3. Tallman

Tallman
    Expand Collapse
    W9WDX Amateur Radio Member, KW4YJ EXTRA class

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping for all of the other radio operators both CB and Ham that something had been done.

4. BJ radionut

BJ radionut
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

Tallman: I doubt the bill ever leaves committee...Spectrum, a Lobby group representing the HOA's and other groups (National Commerce of Homeowners Associations) will see to that. They will do their utmost to see it stays buried till Senate leaves session for the year. Then the bill will have to be reintroduced under new sponsorship and the process started over in both the House and Senate.
    The FCC has already dropped any action until mandated by Congress to act.
    Either way it will not affect CBer's I believe, as the bill is written especially for holders of Amateur Radio Licenses.
    This however remains to be discussed as some of the major sponsors of the bill were Congressman holding Amateur licences.
    All the Best
    Gary

5. jon666

jon666
    Expand Collapse

yeah like got my license... but i was told i can not put up antenna. so i use my inverted v dipole. there is always a way around the hoa.

6. doctor

doctor
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

AGREE put it IN the stack, this SENATE is useless, and the republicans in charge, same as DEMOCRATS ...DO NOT DO A THING..just collect huge pay checks.
    DOCTOR 795

7. Paul-W5lz

Paul-W5lz
    Expand Collapse

I think reading the bill that reached the senate would be a very good idea! It is not the same as the bill that passed the house. Getting stalled in committee was very good.

8. Sarasota Slim

Sarasota Slim
    Expand Collapse

I get around HOA bylaws by not living anywhere with a HOA.

I'm not about to have some group of mental midget busybodies tell me what can or cannot be parked in my driveway, what color my curtains must be, what flags can be displayed (or how to display them), what sort of shrubbery I can have, what I may or may not have in the way of antennas, or any other thing. If I buy the property, I get to make the rules.

I attended a HOA meeting, once. Tallest group of 3 year olds I ever saw.

9. silver devil

silver devil
    Expand Collapse

Yeah me too. I live in a very small town that don't have any antenna codes and i live in an older home that well, doesn't look like a showplace. LOL

Sarasota Slim likes this.
  10. kopcicle

kopcicle
    Expand Collapse

11. Paul-W5lz

Paul-W5lz
    Expand Collapse

555 passed the house of representatives, good. Now, read the bill as presented to the senate, it is NOT the same! I hope it doesn't pass.

12. 338_MtRushmore

338_MtRushmore
    Expand Collapse
    Supporting Member

I guess I don't understand the problem, nor do I see a reasonable argument. What part of "no antenna" did you fail to understand as you voluntarily signed your name in agreement?

Sarasota Slim likes this.
  13. Paul-W5lz

Paul-W5lz
    Expand Collapse

I'm not sure I understand the question. So, do what??

14. LeapFrog

LeapFrog
    Expand Collapse
    Vocoder Frog

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/555/amendments
    I'm confused, at what point did the wording change?

Edit: I see maybe it needs a change, to become less broad?

#14 LeapFrog, Sep 17, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  15. Sarasota Slim

Sarasota Slim
    Expand Collapse

This is a very good point. I detest HOA's, thus I don't live under them.

As Rushmore points out, though, no one is forced to live under these mini-tyranies. When you buy in, you do so of your own free will. One assumes that the buyer is presented with a copy of HOA bylaws, prior to purchase, and it is the responsibility of the buyer to read and understand those bylaws, before buying the property, as agreement to them is part of the condition of sale.

The one exception would be inheritance. I rented a room from a young woman who inherited her house from her grandfather. Apparently, she had the house for a year, before she was even aware that an HOA existed in that neighborhood; then, she was only made aware by a letter stating that she was violating some bylaw. I think that her lawnmower broke, and she was unable to cut her grass for a couple of weeks.

At any rate, she was not made aware of the HOA, or agreed to any bylaws, before taking possession of the property. Indeed, it's quite fathomable that she didn't even know that there was such a thing as HOA's. I was in my 20's, before I was aware of them, and that was only because my parents lived under one. It just never would have occurred to me that people would voluntarily give up their property rights for the privilege of living in a particular neighborhood. So, perhaps she, and those under similar circumstances, may have a case or an argument, there.

But, if you signed that agreement, while I sympathize with, and fully comprehend, your dissatisfaction, I have to agree with Rushmore; it's on you.

The good news is, you do have the option of finding someone willing to buy your house, and selling it to them. Then you can buy a house in an area more free. I went to the country, myself, and found a much larger chunk of land, and for a far cheaper price. I could build a replica of a space station in my front yard, for use as a ham shack, and the only objection would come from my wife. My neighbors would likely find it to be odd, but outside of saying, "That boy is an odd one", they couldn't do anything about it. Nor, would they want to.

Tallman likes this.