• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What happened to....

Back 20 or more years ago I used to talk frequently with a guy from Arizona (I think in the Phoenix area) whos number was 2 1/2 ! I always wondered what happened to him ? That 2 1/2 thing really stuck with me for some reason ! Anybody else remember him ?

If your lucky enough to live through several solar cycles you find that lots of other dx'ers have passed on by the time the next one rolls around.
Ain't that the truth !
One day I too will be one of those that doesn't reappear on the next solar cycle. Who knows, this could be my last, but I hope to be around for at least a couple more LOL! (I'm 59 this year in case y'all are wondering).

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Back in the era of the base station there were two kinds of operators. The ground-wave crowd would cringe during sunspot max, and operate at night after the skip died down. Long-distance ground wave was their passion.

And then there were the ones who showed up to get a 10 year-old radio and amplifier cleaned up when the sunspots were on the rise. All they cared about was to talk skip. Wouldn't see them again until the next sunspot rise. Called them the "sunspot babies".

Not so many base stations on the air at all these days.

While we are on the subject anyone talked to Waldo? He was a commercial airline pilot and he would come to 27mhz and talked to people while flying across the country. Been years since I've heard him. It was fun and interesting to say the least.
I think I know who you're talking about. He was from Arizona if I remember correctly. I sold a Magnum 1 radio on the bay several years ago and he bought it. We ended up chatting and turned out he was an airline pilot who was pretty into the hobby. I thought it was pretty cool and Waldo sounds right.

Matter of fact, he wanted that radio so bad he paid about 90 bucks to have it overnight shipped.

That was several year back now.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.