• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is the Best Base Antenna?

The only thing I can think of to add would be to setup a dipole and try NVIS with it, but I would not hold my breath.
Too high in Frequency for NVIS, perhaps a dipole with a 1:1 Balun cut for the frequency. Have the feedpoint up 36' because it will be an inverted "V" This is now an omni directional antenna. So the bottom of this antenna should be approx. 27' above the ground. This type of antenna works well for areas that don't have too much ground conductivity. The balun is vital to feeding the dipole. Balun will keep common mode away, it will allow for the max of RF energy to the antenna. A 1:1 Current Balun @500watts or more. Cut the wire to the wave length for Channel 20. Use insulators get as high as possible 36' is great.....less than 20' ft in 12AWG you can make a balun out of coax (Google it)(ugly balun) This is also known as a choke or pay for a Balun $49.00 Nothing is guarenteed, but this is your best option.

Reactions: ctvanover
I'm gonna dare to disagree with the statement that 'locally you're screwed'.
I doubt you'll ever be a major CB Celebrity on the immediate other side of the mountains, but a 1/4 wave GP erected as high as possible will give you the highest vertical TOA I can think of, and just might get you a little performance
...over the hills and far away...
i agree try a sirio m400 1/4 wave gp @ coppers
or a workman 1/4 wave gp @ palco electronics
for dx id try a horizonal dipole or horizonal yagi. not scrwed though i live in valley with mountains on almost every side

Get ya a quad...Love mine! "Lightning L4" 50' up...
beam4.jpg

Jesse a quad is not going to help his situation much, for a while I lived down in a small valley surrounded by mountains, the best setup I could find for working vertical over the hill to the valley to the west of me was a old 1/4 wave "droopy drawers" ground plane with the feed point at approx 32 feet above ground.
I had that and Jays I-10K mounted on each end of the house.
Switching between the 1/4 wave and the 5/8s wave ment the difference between being able to talk to my friends or not.
When DX was open it was a roll of the dice, at times the I-10K worked better, sometimes the 1/4 wave did.
I have learned over the years that each location has its own challenges to overcome if the terrain around you is not flatlands.

Jeff

The old 1/4 wave gp takes a bit of beating on short range skip. I also live in the clyde valley and the Starduster works well.

But there is days when ducting happens that will take you to places normally out of range. They are generally far shorter distances than sporadic e but not as close as nvis would allow, but as others have said maximum useable frequency MUF would have to be hell of a high for nvis on 11m.

Its generally only used well down the spectrum from 11m.

Nothing stops dx though.just because you can't get to a station 10 miles away dont mean you can't hit one 80 or 3000 miles away. All depends on propagation paths being open.

My preferred setup is 3 ele yagi with a quality sigma 4/vector 4k, 1/2 or 5/8 wave above it and a 1/4 wave gp on a seperate mast. To which you could also add an inverted v

They all have their day and only a fool would discount any of them. ;)

I have an answer for your predicament. You may not like it, but it is logical. Is it practical? Yes, if you can afford it. Buy the tallest mountain close to the city and get the antenna up about 60 feet. You will be heard and you will hear them.

Jesse a quad is not going to help his situation much, for a while I lived down in a small valley surrounded by mountains, the best setup I could find for working vertical over the hill to the valley to the west of me was a old 1/4 wave "droopy drawers" ground plane with the feed point at approx 32 feet above ground.
Switching between the 1/4 wave and the 5/8s wave ment the difference between being able to talk to my friends or not.
When DX was open it was a roll of the dice, at times the I-10K worked better, sometimes the 1/4 wave did.
I have learned over the years that each location has its own challenges to overcome if the terrain around you is not flatlands.

Jeff

There are times that the high angle radiation of a 1/4 wave GP will beat the low angle radiation of a directional antenna or even a 5/8 wave GP and when in close proximity to a mountain is certainly one of them. Same applies on VHF or UHF when trying to work nearby repeaters located on a mountain top. I cannot recall the number of times I have had to explain to new hams that their new Diamond Super Gainer SG-7900 7/8 wave 2m/3x 5/8 waves 440 MHz antenna will be beaten out by a lowly 1/4 wave when trying to work the FM easy-sats. Gain is not everything. You need gain WHERE you want it.

Jeff
The old AS Droopy Drawers was a fantastic antenna I have seen it out preform Moonaker 6's and Stardusters leaving 'em scratch their heads & cursin like a sailor.
I live in a steep Valley with a 150 ridge on the east & west sides within 1 mi total. My inverted V at 30 ft out preforns my Imax 2000 90% of the time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.