• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is/was your favorite dual-band HT??

I like my VX-6R . Has nice RX from AM radio to cordless phiones and of course is sold as a tribander. This is quickly fixed with the removing of a solder joint to make it do 6m.

Works great for all the ham bands and has made my bearcat scanner obsolete 8)

For a twin band HT I liked my Alinco DJ 580, it was a monster of a HT, but the battery lasted forever, and there was enough metal in the case to handle the Crossband repeat duty. I used to put the thing in cross band mode in the car while camping on the 13v volt power cord, and use it to talk back down to the valley with a little DJ F1T.
2 meters to the car, then 440 down the hill, worked great.
I now have aYaesu VX5R, tribander, 6 meters is almost useless in it with a portable antenna, but it works fine on 2 meters and 440. The only thing is with these Micro HT`s there is not enough case there to soak up the heat in high duty cycles.....the thing can turn into a real hand warmer if you stay on it for a while.

Jeff

So what is the best dual band HT out there lol

i now have to get around to going and getting the 92 AD
it is a pretty penny though (perhaps a bit too expensive)

still will give it a try

The only thing about the new Icoms that I can see is that they have D-Star. If you want it, then it might be worth it.

You can keep your VX-7r
I gave mine away
was garbage in my opinion compared
to the Icom T90a and Icom ID-91AD
( i have them both )

I have Yaesu 2R, 3R, 7R, 8R, and iCom IC-91A.
I like the look of yaesu and they feel great in my hand, but the icom's audio quality is much better, and it's easier to program. 7R has the worst audio but it's submersible (91A is not)...
No HT is perfect. That's one of the reasons I purchased so many.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.