• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What is Your Favorite Base Microphone?

for a 11-10 meter radio

yes..i would be hard pressed to say whether i like turner +2
or astatic D104 power mike..

however for ham radio
would need be a gold series heil mike or better

Later

It does depend on the mode and the radio but for AM I like the D104 but the Shure 444D is really good too. I'm sure both are okay for SSB too....
Also, a Sadelta mc-3 is a good one too if you like a little echo.

that would depend on the radio being used at the time ? but my all time favorite would be the Shure 526-T

any of my turner's or the tug-8 with a dn-hz head which the loud crowd hates becuase it isn't annoyingly loud like a 104 on a unit with the limiter snipped. but it's clear and natural on the old madison

md-100 with a hc-5 element on the yaesu.

rf limited addonis line 508 on the kenwood for fm.

Both are good mics, as stated before it depends on the radio. With the D-104 you need a quiet room or they will tell ya what you're watching on TV ;) +2s are almost as loud and have a tendency to be on the bassy side on some radios. I have the Nite K D-104, Turner +2, Echomax 2000 and my favorite, Shure 526T Series 2.

There is a mod for the D-104s that are amplified that works very well and tends to make them even better sideband performers , I believe even Astatic reccomended the mod which was a cap and a resistor in line with the audio line terminal from the bottom of the mic , I just restored a TUG-8 base ,the guy who is using it now has no problem with back ground on AM and tends to talk close to his mic , I can surely hear the differance with the cap and resistor in line . I was very impressed ,but more so on the ssb side , very clean where other D-104s sounded over driven and splattery , the cap and resistor was surely a plus.

There are alot of good mics but as far as a amplified either the Shure 526T or Sadelta are nice and work well with about any radio but volume levels neeed to be watched and are set differently to every radio ASTATIC D104 also a mic that sounds good on 98% of all radios

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.