• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

WHAT RADIO ARE YOU USING FOR YOUR GMRS BASE?

Rick330man

WDX 404
Mar 16, 2013
Florida Keys
I go back and forth between a Midland 575MXT and a Retevis RA 86. As a base, I don't need a zillion repeater pairings. I have five (5) Florida Keys repeaters programmed, two (2) Miami ones and one (1) in Naples. The 50 watts on the Midland is a big plus, but the Retevis is more user friendly. The latter is important since I want my wife and boys and to be comfortable. A radio that is easy to use fits the bill. I need a few more repeater pairings in the mobile and have found the Radioddity DB-20G to be perfect for my needs.

What are the rest of you using for your GMRS base(s)?

Reactions: Brother DXer

I use a Midland MXT115 as a base and unfortunately there are no repeaters in my area. I bought a copper J pole antenna a while back from ebunk, but have not put it up yet. I also have a few UV5r radios that we use between houses in the neighborhood.

Reactions: Brother DXer
None! I don't think there are GMRS repeaters in Canada, at least not in BC. If I climb the highest hill around here I can hear a repeater down in Mount Vernon WA which is almost 200 miles south of me. That appears to be the closest GMRS repeater to my QTH !
I have GMRS frequencies in my Baofeng but all I ever hear on them is kids playing radio and a few small time business users. Everybody else is on the LADD channels.

We.ve been using BAOFENG UV5R hand helds on our farm's base, both mobiles, and one for each of our workers. All bought in 2009. 9 total. The 5 used by our workers are pretty shabby looking, because life isn't harder on a radio then when it's hanging from a Colombian farm worker's belt all day. The other 3 (and the spare) look new. The base radio in our farmhouse (which is the highest point on the property) uses a Larsen BSA-450 antenna on a 40' pole. It easily covers all of our 22 hectares (54 acre) farm. Except for batteries, never replaced anything. All 9 rigs still functioning 100%. For 20 bucks each, best bang for the buck.

I use the Midland with a Nagoya NMO200C antenna on a 45 ft. pole It gets out pretty well, I have alot of hills to block it but 20-30 miles it works good

Reactions: BC Coyote

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.