• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

What should I see from a TS 350HDV?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I have a 350HDV, I'm thinking my radio doesn't have enough deadkey to swing ratio.

I have a DX959, with the variable all the way down (barefoot, its about 3/4 watt), I'm getting about 65 watts and seeing about 120 modulating. If I turn it up to 100 watt dead key (just cracking the variable), I'm still only getting about 190 watts?

Seems like I should have less than a 65 watt dead key and around 200 watts PEP? Thoughts?

You didn't say if you have it in a mobile or running it off of a power supply for a base.

If you are running it on a base station; then my guess would be that the power supply isn't rated high enough for the current demands of that amp - which should be around 40 amps or more. Or the power wires feeding the amp are too small of gauge.

If that amp is in your mobile; then the wire gauge may also be too small. You are going to need some 6 or 8 gauge stranded copper wire to feed the amp. If you already have it like that; then check to see if any of the connections are poor.

IOW - you might be starving the amp/not getting enough amperage.

No more than 25 watts PEP input but 20 watts is what TS recommends.
A single final 959 should put out enough to drive it . . .

Last edited:
Its a mobile. I've got 6ga wire from the battery to the amp, connections are solid. It should be more than enough for this installation. The car has an 85A alternator and a 850CCA battery...I know it won't run a big amp, but it should support a 2-pill? One thing that I can tell its getting enough voltage...I have an external fan on the amp (ran off the amp wiring), and it doesn't change pitch when I run the amp; which indicates to me there is not much change in the voltage at that point (unlike my previously owned 1x4, which would make the fan drop in speed).

I guess the reason I asked the question is that it seems like I get excessive dead key and not much PEP? I'm not looking for every last watt, just trying to get it more towards normal.

I'm no where near that 20 watt PEP input...probably closer to 5 or 6? That's why I think the radio isn't setup properly to run an amp...the PEP output follows the dead key, in other words right now I'm getting 3/4 watt (as in 0.75 watt) DK and (I want to remember) around 5 watts PEP, and if I turn it up (obviously barefoot), it will dead key around 6 watts and provide almost 20 watts PEP.

Sounds like I need to have the radio adjusted differently, so I can bring the dead key down further and maintain a higher PEP? Again, not trying to make the amp do more than its supposed to, just trying to get it normal (or a 1:4 ratio).

That's what is gess have the radio tuned to 2 or 2.5 watt key and swing 20 or close too it and you will be talking sounds like ur not driving the amp hard enough

I believe that stock it should swing much more than 5-6 watts...do you have the mic gain set too low (decreases swing)? Are you getting good modulation reports? May possibly need to turn up the modulation pot inside the radio...again,just a thought.

Forget the amp for a minute. What about the radio itself? Does it have a clean bill of health? Have you checked it with a reliable external watt meter? What is the output on AM and SSB from the radio? Dead key set at 1 watt? What is the PEP on AM? On SSB? Radio been modified? How so? MOSFET final? Tried that amp with another radio? Tried that radio with another amp? Antenna, coax, and jumper OK?

Forget the amp for a minute. What about the radio itself? Does it have a clean bill of health? Have you checked it with a reliable external watt meter? What is the output on AM and SSB from the radio? Dead key set at 1 watt? What is the PEP on AM? On SSB? Radio been modified? How so? MOSFET final? Tried that amp with another radio? Tried that radio with another amp? Antenna, coax, and jumper OK?

I too wondered as well what was done to the radio. After that what watt meter are you using? Might not be a true peak reading meter. In that case numbers will vary.

Years ago I had a Pro Star 400 single final radio converted and tuned. It was set for 1.5 watts dead key with 12 watts peak. On a bench into a Bird 43P and dummy load at 14.5 volts a TS 350 did 300 watts pep.

That said you should be able to get 225-325 watts from your amp with all variables considered.

I have a TS 350 HDV also, was looking thru my notes and can't seem to find the info you need at this point, BUT I will say I use mine on 10 meters SSB with a base set up. Ranger 2950DX Set at 3 watts swing to 10 I think D104M6B mic And the results are clean and great audio Not a chanel 6 audio monster on AM but every station I call on 10 SSB comes back to me first, I have a 55 amp Iota power supply and a Imax IF you get Results don't Think about the numbers. 2879's are rated at 100 watts each.............................
Good luck Steve

The radio was tuned a couple years ago by DTB, the radio seems to work fine. The meter is in line, and is an Aries A460 Digital which seems to match my other meter pretty good. Keep in mind, this is a DX959, with a variable and it is a early mosfet version.

I didn't check SSB, but my max AM dead key is 6 watts and max swing is around 20 watts PEP (variable turn WFO). To keep the amp watts down to somewhat normal, I need to turn the variable almost all the way down; which puts me at a 0.75 watt dead key and around a 5 to 6 watt PEP (and provides me the 65 watt dead key and 150-ish watts PEP.

I've had this radio in front of a straight 4 pill, but never had another radio in front of this amp...I guess I could easy enough since its a jumper and power lead, I could swap in my PC76 easy enough.

I mean, I can easily crank the output of the radio up to get more power, but it doesn't seem to be correct in a 1:4 ratio by any stretch of the imagination. If I run the dead key to 100 watts, I only get another 40 watts PEP from the amp (190 watts). Its like the dead key climbs, but the PEP doesn't?

Mr. Jerk:

Think I would use an accurate watt meter and turn up the RF output on the 959 until it read 18 watts PEP on SSB and AM - first. That is what that amp's input power is rated for. But that meter needs to be an accurate one; a true peak reading type meter. That is to be sure you aren't over driving the amp either. Seems like you aren't getting enough PEP into the amp - IMO . . .

" I can easily crank the output of the radio up to get more power"

No you can't. Adjusting the input DEAD KEY will increase your carrier out from the amp. Adding more peak wattage is how you increase the output.

That said 20 watts PEP from your radio should be plenty to drive a TS350 to 300 watts easy. There is something going on, either the meter, jumper, or something is wrong.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.